Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
I really feel that this is going to be a GREAT year for Apple, but next year is going to be AWESOME!!.

The new laptops, LCD displays, the iLife suite which will help sell the revised iMac/eMac/iPod [or vice-versa] will start it off this year and keep going strong to the 3rd quarter of 2003 at least.

Hopefully we'll see a new Apple branded digital life style device between now and June to generate some not so computer exclusive interest among the Mac faithfull, but especially Switchers.

We need this to prove that the iPod wasn't just a fluke, and to show that Apple is committed to innovation and quality.:)

There will be a strong push in the server market with the Xserve potentially being the first piece of hardware utilizing the new IBM 970 chips in the 2nd [if available] or 3rd quarter [when mass production begins].

Right now would be the perfect time to go after this market because of the excellent reviews Xserve has been getting and seeing as how Microshaft is on the verge of losing entire international government contracts to open-source systems like OS X and Linux.;)

Linux is currently a stronger player in this market, but I don't care, as long as together we break Monopolysoft and Apple is at least a contributor and preferrably a benefactor. :)

Apple could actually prove to be a much stronger competitor to Linux than expected because we can provide BOTH server and workstation solutions with our familiar GUI, legendary ease of use, and now our added Unix stability.

I love the fact that M$ is just now agreeing to make it's OS code available to these governments so that they won't jump ship. I think this will make it easier for them to get a first hand look at what a pile of junk WinBlows really is and make a quicker decision to switch.:p

If and when their government switches, don't you think that the corporations, businesses and even individuals in those countries will question why this happened? I do.

They'll investigate for themselves, if they even bother. I mean, why would they waste time and money investigating what has already been investigated? They'll just look at the findings and base their purchases on those findings and follow suit.

Borrowing from President Reagan's 1980's terminolgy for his economic program, I'll call it "Trickle-Down Reality".

Sure MS will put up a fight and offer all kinds of incentives to stick with them, and honestly some, but hopefully not most, will opt to stick with MS because it would initially be very costly to replace all of their existing equipment.:rolleyes:

Apple needs to push the fact that they'll save money with our low maintenance solutions by being able to minimize their IT expenditures. Rendezvous will play a big part in this.

SORRY any Network Administrators, but it's the truth. I know that if Apple would have proposed this solution when I was a Network Administrator, i would've been like "Goodbye Full-Time Windows NT server administartor and Dell/Gateway repairman. Hello Part-Time or On-Call [freelance] administrator or worse, unemployment!:(

It's the Switcher "domino effect' that I've witnessed in the low end [consumer] market. Now if we can knock the domino over at the high end [corporate server/enterprise market] then the dominoes will meet in the mid-level [business] market where Apple already has it's strong niche market within the graphics and editing industries.:D

anyhoo- getting back to the point:

Then Apple re-generates interest in it's new IBM 970 desktops just in time for the 4th quarter Holiday season and carrying over to 2004. This HAS to happen because companies HAVE to expire their annual budgets in the 4th quarter in order to not short change their following years budgets.

Example: I worked for a MAJOR corporation whose Account Managers would bust their butts trying to generate sales for the first 3 quarters of the year, but in the 4th quarter it was smooth sailing. They could just relax and let the clients come to them who would literally call in, begging for something to be sold to them that would expire their budget. Consequently, for decades, this corporation does 60% of it's annual sales in the 4th quarter, and the same is true of all it's competitors in it's industry. It's the same for a large portion of companies internationally who's fiscal year end's with the calendar year.

Apple's and other companies, but not the majority, fiscal year ends in the 3rd quarter of the calendar year. That's why they just reported their earnings on the 15th of this month.

I'm REALLY excited about 2004 though.:D

C'mon guys do you really think Apple isn't going to launch a full force PR attack on all fronts [consumer, business, & server] for the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh?!:cool:

I would love to see a modern version of the historic "1984" commercial with the drones symbolizing Windows users, and Big Brother obviosly would be the criminal/nerd we love to hate. Of course we wouldn't actually use the Gates of Hell's actual face [or could/should we?], but we could symbolize him, maybe in a truer demonic form...[PinHead from HellRaiser suddenly comes to mind]...

Anyways, just my thoughts...

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
I agree with a lot of what you said. I think Apple is trying to position themselves so they can stand on their own, without Microsoft.

I think this will be an excellent year for Apple. I think we'll see a new DLD, which I still think will be at the core of Apple's success over the next year. They need to show people that Apple is more than just computers, and they are putting out some kick-butt items that even PC users want.

I had a friend recently, who is totally pro-PC, talking about how cool the iPod is, and how awesome it sounds. This just proved to me further, that Apple has the potential to takeover more of the computer market, by going through the back door. New DLD's will get people interested, and then they will start to see the Mac as a viable platform that is perfect for their needs.

-Natron

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Yeah. This will be a great year for Apple. Innovation is the key. Speed will come with time.

On the subject of the iPod, that is the single best portable audio player I have ever used. It just works. Its small. It is very sensible in operation, but not so simple that is lacks features. Hopefully, Apple will continue on this path of innovation and not focus all of their efforts on being just another high market share PC company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.