Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happychamp21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to connect the iPod to any WinXP computer, using usb cable, without having iTunes installed on the computer, and use iPod as USB Memory Key.

As we use the usb memory keys to connect to any computer and they are detected and we use them to transfer the data. Is it possible that after enabling the HardDrive feature on iPod we can use it with any computer installed with winxp, connect it and copy any data files.

Waiting for the replies.

Thanks

Regards
Happy

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
Yes. Just make sure when you connect to different PC's they don't have iTunes runing. It can do bad things to your music. As an external drive it works everytime you connect it to any pc as long as the drive feature is enabled.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Go to the iPod preferences and select "Manually manage songs and playlists." I think will automatically enable disk use but if it doesn't, select that box too.

Now, you'll lose your auto-sync capabilities (big deal, who cares) but now it doesn't matter if iTunes is on the PC or not, it will mount as a disk and you can use it as a disk without erasing your library.

Piece of cake.

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
Chundles said:
Go to the iPod preferences and select "Manually manage songs and playlists." I think will automatically enable disk use but if it doesn't, select that box too.

Now, you'll lose your auto-sync capabilities (big deal, who cares) but now it doesn't matter if iTunes is on the PC or not, it will mount as a disk and you can use it as a disk without erasing your library.

Piece of cake.

What if he conects it to another PC that has iTunes runing with the auto-sync feature enabled?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Labi said:
What if he conects it to another PC that has iTunes runing with the auto-sync feature enabled?

Auto-sync is a function of the iPod, not iTunes. When you set an iPod to manually update, it stores that information on the iPod so that setting carries over to wherever you go. I use this setting to get music from my mates computers onto my iPod (yes, that's legal for iTMS purchases). All I do is plug in, the iPod mounts and away I go, you don't lose any music at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.