Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattdocs12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
I needed a computer right now, urgently. My not so old Thinkpad crapped out on me completely. The screen started flickering and giving me a headache.

Honestly I am happy to get rid of the Thinkpad brand, it became cheap with horrendous customer service. Not what it used to be. And laptop broke after less than 2 years.

The only thing I am truly missing is a trackpoint. But will get used to touchpad again with time.

I settled down on a base model.
And instead of paying for RAM upgrade, Im putting $100 towards a new laptop 3 years from now.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I bought a MBP when my Dell started showing its age (it wasn't crap, just old) and Win8 got out at the same time.

Never looked back. I only regret not doing it sooner.

Now, I wouldn't use a MBA base model as my primary computer, but that depends entirely of your usage.
Edit : also depends on whether you got the 11" or the 13" :p

Oh, and the trackpad ? The one on the macbook will make you forget the trackpoint (I have a solid hatred for trackpads and never use it on a windows laptop, always use the trackpoint or a mouse. I seriously love the trackpad on the macbook).

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Oh, and the trackpad ? The one on the macbook will make you forget the trackpoint (I have a solid hatred for trackpads and never use it on a windows laptop, always use the trackpoint or a mouse. I seriously love the trackpad on the macbook).

My old Lenovo is a track point model, and it was great, did the job for years.

I've have a hatred for trackpads too, after various Dell work laptops were given to me without a choice in the last 10 years.

After using the Apple Magic Trackpad with my Mac mini for a month now, I've already ordered a Macbook Air to use when I'm traveling!

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The base mba is a fantastic bang for the buck and very capable as a main computer for most people.
Enjoy :)

Windowsrefugee

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Microsoft Land
As a Windows Refugee, I went thru Dell and ThinkPad en route Back to Mac about 5 years ago. Have had a 13" MBA (on my 3rd) ever since. I have passed my older ones on to other family members and now have 2013 that is so far superior to any other computer I have ever owned. It serves as my primary (and only) computer for my business-- it is so portable with such a good battery life that I always have my office with me! As with others, I have never looked back nor do I intend to.... Now about that new 12" MBA with even better battery life and retina display.... I CAN'T WAIT!

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
Agree with your opinion on the ThinkPad´s. Last year, I sold my MBP 2011, and bought the brand new T540p with i7, 16GB RAM and fast SSD. Very powerfull machine, but the trackpad was practically useless. Hated it from day one.
After a month, I decided that my swap from Mac to Windows was a serious mistake, sold the ThinkPad, and bought the base 13 MBA.
I admit it lacks some power, but as a portable back-up for my MP, it´s simply perfect.

Suspended
May 11, 2013
I needed a computer right now, urgently. My not so old Thinkpad crapped out on me completely. The screen started flickering and giving me a headache.

Honestly I am happy to get rid of the Thinkpad brand, it became cheap with horrendous customer service. Not what it used to be. And laptop broke after less than 2 years.

The only thing I am truly missing is a trackpoint. But will get used to touchpad again with time.

And instead of paying for RAM upgrade, Im putting $100 towards a new laptop 3 years from now.

And hey, just think, compared to your old ThinkPad, if the same issue ever happens your Mac here's the situation: Apple won't sell you a new one. You have to pay them for it, and to fit it too! Oh, with just 90 days of warranty on their work. And eBay won't be able to offer more than cleaned up used screens sold as refurbished sadly.

Just think, Lenovo would have sold you a new screen.

Mac's are great. But Apples after sales policies aren't :-(

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
And hey, just think, compared to your old ThinkPad, if the same issue ever happens your Mac here's the situation: Apple won't sell you a new one. You have to pay them for it, and to fit it too! Oh, with just 90 days of warranty on their work. And eBay won't be able to offer more than cleaned up used screens sold as refurbished sadly.

I would agree with the above. We have both Thinkpads and Apple laptops. Both are great. But it is much easier to get parts and repair the Thinkpads. They are tanks.

I have a MacBook Air I love. But it's really a personal choice the Thinkpads are great too.

Reactions: 0989383

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Thinkpad was the last PC I bought when they first introduced the unibody Macs. I had gone through every PC brand and it was the last one left standing. It was expensive and the build quality was so bad the plastic could be snapped with my bare hands. I paid the restocking fee and went with Apple and have been a fan since. The thinkpad pointer is a joke compared to Apple's trackpad. The IBM Thinkpad was legendary. Lenovo is complete rubbish.

Suspended
May 11, 2013
Thinkpad was the last PC I bought when they first introduced the unibody Macs. I had gone through every PC brand and it was the last one left standing. It was expensive and the build quality was so bad the plastic could be snapped with my bare hands. I paid the restocking fee and went with Apple and have been a fan since. The thinkpad pointer is a joke compared to Apple's trackpad. The IBM Thinkpad was legendary. Lenovo is complete rubbish.

I've been using my ThinkPad for the past few days - having been a MacBook / Air / Pro user since 2009 and I must say it's the best non Apple trackpad I've ever used. I think I'll need a trackpad for Minecraft as it can't beat the Mac in that regard, but in all honesty I think I'll be staying with Windows as long as Lenovo keeps producing these things.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
I've been using my ThinkPad for the past few days - having been a MacBook / Air / Pro user since 2009 and I must say it's the best non Apple trackpad I've ever used. I think I'll need a trackpad for Minecraft as it can't beat the Mac in that regard, but in all honesty I think I'll be staying with Windows as long as Lenovo keeps producing these things.
One point, Lenovo has different lines. Lines with Thinkpads tend to have better build quality and aim at business/prosumers. Their lines which are labeled Lenovo only tend to have lower build quality.

I have a Thinkpad Yoga 14 which has an excellent trackpad. I am impressed with it. I don't use it often because I touch type and love the pointing stick. Windows 10 is a huge improvement from Windows 8.

Agreed Thinkpads are awesome.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

Exact same thing is starting to happen to my "not so old" MacBook Air. Can't condemn a whole brand on a couple of isolated incidents.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Why revive a 2-year-old thread to reply to a forum member who hadn't logged on to MRF in more than a year?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.