Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorcar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
after few months with Mac I still dont find it intuitive....

1- why it is impossible to SHIFT CLICK multiple pics when I am in ICON VIEW???? i can do it in List view, but not in icon view...i read it might have changed with Maverick

2- I need to SEE ALL the pics I have in a folder (like ICON view) but at the same time I need to see (AT THE SAME TIME) the structure of the folders where I am going to paste the selected pics. Like in the banal and dull Windows file explorer, where on the left pane you see the folder tree with all subfolders and on the right pane you can see the icon, as big as you want, with no horizontal scroll (this is a different thread)
can you do this with mac? or should I install a different software? only solution i found is to open two different Finder windows (but it's still a pain as I cant use Shift Click)

thanks in advance

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
1 - Can't say. I can do that, but I'm running Snow Leopard. You can also "box in" the ones you want if they are in a rectangular block (by position) in the window.

2- Two windows is the Mac way, always has been. Newbies don't like it. Old timers like me don't see why it's a big deal. Spring loaded folders is as close as you'll get to the Windows way.

lorcar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
1 - Can't say. I can do that, but I'm running Snow Leopard. You can also "box in" the ones you want if they are in a rectangular block (by position) in the window.

2- Two windows is the Mac way, always has been. Newbies don't like it. Old timers like me don't see why it's a big deal. Spring loaded folders is as close as you'll get to the Windows way.

the problem I have with the two windows is that it doesnt allow you to browse in Icon view between different folders. You can use the two windows to copy or paste, but what should I do if I am browsing the pics in folder 1, and want to see the pics within subfolder 1.4.3?
WIndows allows you to do this, you have all foders in the left, just one click and you see what is inside. I dont think this is possible with the gorgeous mac

lorcar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013

spring loaded folders dont have anything practical besides the eye pleasant feature. You need to see a folder BEFORE moving stuff around, I dont remember by heart all the subfolders.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
the problem I have with the two windows is that it doesnt allow you to browse in Icon view between different folders. You can use the two windows to copy or paste, but what should I do if I am browsing the pics in folder 1, and want to see the pics within subfolder 1.4.3?
WIndows allows you to do this, you have all foders in the left, just one click and you see what is inside. I dont think this is possible with the gorgeous mac

Oh but it is! Using Column View will enable a similar if not exactly the same behavior you describe.

lorcar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
something off the side of the window out of view might not get selected.

that's the reason I think the horizontal scroll it's a worst idea ever, in windows there is no horizontal scroll. I understand that there are 2 different workflows, but i simply do not see WHY mac developer added the horizontal scroll. We are talking about the most basic activity you can do with a computer/mac, browsing and moving your files. There are not so many workflows, there are simply RIGHT or WRONG ways of doing something which has to be intuitive and easy

I think you might not understand the abilities of Spring Loaded folders. You can drag your payload of files all around your hard disk until you find what you're looking for, and then drop them there.

why this should this be something cool or nice to have??? i can simply COPY my "payload of files", answer the phone, drink some water, go to the restroom, and then come back, find and select the destination subfolder and then PASTE there.
There is no need to DRAG AROUND pressing multiple keys at the same time, and being unable to take a 2-second rest with your hands

lorcar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Even if you wanted to think that, you should probably keep your thoughts to yourself if you're trying to get help. Actually it doesn't even look like you're trying to get help. You're just complaining, and you're not even appreciative of any suggestions.

my apologies for coming out like this. It was not my intention, but I understand your point. At the same time though, my reaction stems from what I noticed on mac users and mac forums: people do everything to make you thing that mac world is the best, or at least on Mac you can do something else you do NOT need...
For example, going back on topic: there is no SHIFT+CLICK, and it would be much more honest to admit that Mac is stupid for not allowing you to do it. This is (at least for me) a clear example of where Win is superior. But no mac user will ever admit it.

Apparently many people use spring loaded folders and appreciate it...

Too bad you're not looking for help, because the copy/paste method works on the Mac. And with drag lock set, you can take as many days rest as your hands need without dropping your files. But, you don't need to know those things, since you can't seem to see other points of view or bother learning to use your system in a productive way, you just complain.

Obviously I didnt know about the drag lock, thanks.
At the same time though I do not see why spring loaded folders are so cool. How do you use them? i really do not understand.
And if i have to paste something, i guess i want to see where i have to paste it, not start to look around for my final destination.

And the only reason I chose Mac is because everywhere I read it was the most intuitive in the world, which is clearly not.

but again, my apologies for coming out rude

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.