Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
to me it looks too much like a social media page and not enough like a designer's portfolio

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Casmir,

Well done. Pure quality. I'm sure you will have no issues whatsoever in finding the right internship.

I'm no expert but I'm totally impressed by the level of details and how professional the whole lot looks like. Much better than many established companies out there!

Just wanted to give you my brutally honest 2 cents...

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Very nicely done. Smart concepts, and your layouts are clean and easy to read.

Makes me wish I was more of an art director than a copywriter sometimes! :p

RRigs

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
Looks good to me. As said earlier, the layouts are easy to clean and read. One of the advantages of being in an industrial design firm like Spark Innovations at Toronto is that you get to see many designing talents. And have seen all that I have to tell you that you have done really well. I wish you all the best.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Although its an amazing concept, and you don't lack presentation skills either, the corner close to 001 is going to hurt someone real bad.
8b8e2effd4869b15b0923289304e0298.jpg

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just want to get some critiques/suggestions from designers or outsiders looking in!

Anyone wanna offer me an internship this summer? :D

My Portfolio

Did someone actually build a bicycle out of square steel tube and wood? If so this is horrible case of design over function. There is a good reason "everyone" uses the materials they do. Bicycle need to have much better strength to weight ratio. Have you ever had to MAINTAIN wood that is left outdoors? See what that wood looks like after a year outdoors in the sun and rain. It will need to be striped, sanded and re-varnished twice a year.

What next a car made of bricks with grass on the roof? Or shoes made of cast concrete? The #1 goal of a design is the product has to perform it's intended function well, only then do you worry about what it looks like.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Did someone actually build a bicycle out of square steel tube and wood? If so this is horrible case of design over function. There is a good reason "everyone" uses the materials they do. Bicycle need to have much better strength to weight ratio. Have you ever had to MAINTAIN wood that is left outdoors? See what that wood looks like after a year outdoors in the sun and rain. It will need to be striped, sanded and re-varnished twice a year.

What next a car made of bricks with grass on the roof? Or shoes made of cast concrete? The #1 goal of a design is the product has to perform it's intended function well, only then do you worry about what it looks like.

I see the point, and understand. It was a one semester project where over half of it was dedicated towards research. It was a concept bike and not considered anywhere near completion. This was the first semester of kicking off the bike share system and each group (there were three) had the task of introducing ideas that could make their bike share system unique. Ours was centered around localization of materials and manufacturing. The easiest way we saw manufacturing a bike using local materials was black locust and steel, essentially CNCed and "sandwiched" together.

We actually saw a rare opportunity to introduce wood into our bike because black locust has such unique characteristics... It's incredibly strong and it's rot resistance is through the roof... Farmers even today make black locust fences because they can stand out there in some cases 100+ years with little maintenance. We probably wouldn't have chosen to use wood if we weren't presented with such a unique wood.

davedev100

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
I think it is a good looking portfolio. I am not in the ID industry at all so I don't know the standards, but from a general presentation stand point you might consider making your static presentations into video's with voice over. Just use the graphics you have, add transitions and voice over and you'd have something that is pretty dynamic and less work for the viewer, better communicating your points.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I don't know anything about industrial design, but your projects look pretty detailed and great.

As for the website, I would recommend hosting it on something other than Behance, which is sort of busy, cluttered, and not very professional looking imo. Cargo Collective is an ideal platform for creative portfolios. It's invitation only, but PM me and I can send you an invite if you want.

petersolomon7

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
Awesome portfolio

After visiting your site. i hope you will find a good place for your internship. Keep searching and find a good job.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.

Yeah it'll probably crack the moment you try sitting on it. Carbon fibre is a better material.

A car made of bricks with grass on the roof might be feasible. I mean, after all, there is a car powered by air, made out of LEGO (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-R3TVmZSL4).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.