Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metaljay

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Hi,

I have a time capsule that is creating an 802.11ac network, I want to extend the wireless range.

Can you recommend any good devices? I have ethernet ports dotted around my home so can just create a roaming network to get the full signal again.

Ive looked at the current airport expresses but these do not support 802.11ac

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Jordan

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
My business partner uses a Linksys RE6500 and likes it. I travel with a D-Link DIR-510L - I have an extra VZW LTE SIM with UL data that I use with the D-Link router.

If you can wait a bit, the not-yet-released Belkin/Linksys RE6700 AC1200 MAX looks like it might fit what you're looking for - pass-through AC power, an audio jack, and a Gigabit Ethernet port is built-in - not sure what the release date for this little beast is.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I don't know if this would fit your needs but I have one of these,

http://www.amazon.com/Zyxel-Mbps-Po...d_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ET6Y1CVHX9ZFERHCVKH

I have electrical wiring running from one house to another, a little over 1000 ft, and this works really well as long as they are on the same circuit. It doesn't extend the wifi, but provides another signal wherever you place it and y0u change the password, etc. No degradation in signal and what's cool is you are still on the same home network. For example if you are in the same house with the router you can print to the wifi printer in the other house connected to the xyzel. Home sharing with other computers works this way also.

Just an option, but if it works over this distance well it should work in the same house on a different floor or something provided it's the same circuit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.