Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gyroxide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
I believe I have designed a more realistic version of what the next generation iPod might look like, and what features it might hold.

-Full Touchscreen & Stylus (For use with Dashboard or Media Control)
-Slider Design
-Integrated Wireless B/G
-Access to network music, movies & other media
-Dashboard Integration & The introduction of "Mini-Widgets"
-Internal motion sensors to determine which axis is carrying the most
weight & alters the screen variation & wheel button set accordingly
-Front Row menu design

I designed 2 Mock-Up's of the main menu design, mind you this is the same product using the internal motion sensors and LED's to alter wheel and screen orientation:

Vertical Orientation:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/29163318/

Horizontal Orientation:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/29163379/

I believe this is one of the more realistic iPod mockup's on the web for a few reasons. Apple will eventually switch their media focus to Front Row. Front Row is their only hold against Media Center for PC's, and what it does at the moment doesn't compete on the level that Media Center has. The addition of widgets for portable use, or theoretically add-ons for a portable media center or iPod, would give them an edge with the expansion of the product with user created widgets and unlimited possibilities with the integrated hardware. Imagine being able to open your documents on an iPod when needed, or putting it out to a video source and running a full presentation. Downloading your podcasts or web-comics via an RSS Downloader widget. Portable iTunes would be introduced for downloading on the go, for those "must have songs" or "vingles". Magazines would be able to be created for iPod formatting to bring major names to your iPod to get a complete entertainment experience on the go, to put the world of media in the palm of your hands.

Gyroxide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
yankeefan24 said:
It looks a little big IMO. but cool none the less:)
Remember the scroll wheel slides, just like a mobile phone, right behind the screen. The view I demonstrated was with the wheel slid out for use.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Gyroxide said:
Remember the scroll wheel slides, just like a mobile phone, right behind the screen. The view I demonstrated was with the wheel slid out for use.

So, where does the hard drive go? ;)

Slider phones always feel too wobbly to me.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Gyroxide said:

i missed that:eek: now i realise that's what you mean by "slider design". My bad…

Gyroxide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
Chaszmyr said:
So, where does the hard drive go? ;)

I didnt specify where the screen and the hard drive/wheel enclosure was seperated. It could really go 2 ways but it would have to be actually created to determine which would work. The screen could be the smaller portion, with the hard drive & wheel sliding below it, or the wheel enclosure can be small and the hard drive & screen paired on te larger portion.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Chaszmyr said:
Slider phones always feel too wobbly to me.

yeah i don't like slider phones either, eventually after too much use things just start failing with the slider and it wont stay open or shut.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i too think the slider design is flawed, if only because of more moving parts = more likely chance of failure and problems.

Gyroxide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PlaceofDis said:
i too think the slider design is flawed, if only because of more moving parts = more likely chance of failure and problems.
I see less of a flaw in a slider rather than ruining your screen in the other 6th generation mockups I have seen. People would be forking over 5 bucks a week for a new screen covering as they are easily worn out.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Gyroxide said:
I see less of a flaw in a slider rather than ruining your screen in the other 6th generation mockups I have seen. People would be forking over 5 bucks a week for a new screen covering as they are easily worn out.
i don't know about that. depends on the materials the decided to use for the screen. it could be very very durable in the end.

ToastMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2005
Tacoma, WA
PlaceofDis said:
i don't know about that. depends on the materials the decided to use for the screen. it could be very very durable in the end.

But have we seen durability high on Apple's priority list for the iPods? Generally not. The 5g, with its "new" plastic, is a whole lot less durable (read: scratch-resistant) than the previous generation.

But with a touchscreen, they might (and this is a big might) step up the scratch resistant plastic in iPods. But I'd just get an InvisibleShield anyways once they came out.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I would never use an iPod that needed a stylus. It just seems really awkward to use a stylus to use an MP3 player...sorry. :eek:

Gyroxide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
OutThere said:
I would never use an iPod that needed a stylus. It just seems really awkward to use a stylus to use an MP3 player...sorry. :eek:

Hence why It has a slider design featuring the wheel apple has made famous. The stylus would be purley for use in the PDA Features Dashboard would bring to the iPod.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
OutThere said:

I dont think Apple would make an iPod that used a stylus. Touch screen does not necessarily mean stylus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.