Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Broke down and bought one of the new DP 1.25 PM's with the 20" Cinema display. I've had a 15" FP iMac for a while (pretty much switched completely from the Windows world), and was considering getting a speedbumped 17" in the next few weeks (assuming they are actually released). However, the new prices of the Cinema displays along with supposedly quieter PM's with Airport Extreme kicked me over the edge.

I'm impressed - while I'm sure a 3GHz Intel box may be faster on many things, this thing really flies. I even thought about holding out for 970-based PM's, but decided that this would be a useful & satisfying machine for a couple years. OS X is very responsive on this thing, even iMovie3 is pretty good :) (it was unuseable on my 700 Mhz iMac).

I've currently got 768MB, but I'm going to order another 512MB DIMM next week. Probably get a Pioneer A105 too (iDVD3 is installed on the hard drive, even though the new 1.25 is a combo drive machine).

The new 20" Cinema is fantastic, BTW.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
very nice....

I'm looking to get the 20" LCD...

how is the noise level on that new 1.25?

arn

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Based on my "ear up next to the case" comparison in the Apple store between the original & new MDD's, I'd say significantly better (no high pitched whine), but still noticeable. There is some "mechanical" noise from the leaf blower fan, but it is fairly low pitched. I would say it is louder than a recent low noise PC, but better than some PC's I've had.

I am 100% certain that it is NOT the "headache-inducing drill" whining I have seen referenced. However, you are going to notice it quite clearly in a real quiet room.

I'm fine with it, but I'm sure there will be the usual malcontents :)

Keith

mdeschenes

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
I'm impressed - while I'm sure a 3GHz Intel box may be faster on many things, this thing really flies. I even thought about holding out for 970-based PM's, but decided that this would be a useful & satisfying machine for a couple years. OS X is very responsive on this thing, even iMovie3 is pretty good :) (it was unuseable on my 700 Mhz iMac).
I, too, have designs on purchasing the dual 1.25 within the next 4 or 5 weeks. I am pleased to hear that you are impressed with its performance. I am leaving the Windows world willingly though my AMD 2000+ computer is quite quick. I will not miss Windows at all - even if it is XP Home. I am also sure that the dual will be more than satisfactory for Word and FileMaker Pro. The software package will be very useful. Hope you enjoy it as much as I plan to.
Mike

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Is there a reason that was in quotes...?

I suppose it was you still talking...

Yeah I've read the articles it is about 10-15 (20db in one case) softer than before.

jmoore

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2003
N.B. Texas
Would anyone say that the new PM Duals are louder than a Dual Quicksilver (1GHz DP) or Dual Gigabit Ethernet (450MHz DP). Just curious...

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
i have one of the original 1.25 DP PM and its relatively noisey but not what everybody ive heard seems to be going on about. One of the smaller computer rooms in my college is almost deafening with the whirring of these irritating pcs.... ughhh my head....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.