Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I was wondering why VLC can decode video more "efficiently" than Quicktime does? For example, on the clamshell iBook, VLC can render FMV very well whereas Quicktime can't keep up and shudders. I wonder why?

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I have always wondered this as well, I assume its to do with the fact that VLC is bloat free and does the decoding with no nonsense, unlike quicktime which runs a snazzy interface etc...

Anyway if anyone knows the real reason behind this i'd also love to know,

ShadoW

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Me too...why is that??

It annoys me when I buy something (QT pro) and then a free program comes along and is much better overall...

QT pro is not a total bust, it does many things that I love that no freeware program can do.

But it drives me nuts how many things won't play in QT, "quicktime requires some software for this file to work" warning...and then it takes you to a page with a ton of codecs...ummmm....which friggin one?

I just demuxed a video yesterday, and was excited to learn that it plays in QT now, but the video is all F'd up...but in VLC and Mplayer X it plays fine....

Annoying. :mad:

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
Thats why I love VLC. Its simple, plays the video I opened, and works very quickly cause it does not do anything else. VLC is one of the greatest apps on my computer. Sorry quicktime, but VLC just plays most videos better.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I'm all for VLC too.

What a gr8 piece of software. Especially since version 0.8.4a has optical Dolby 5.1 support.
Only the QuickTime HD H.264 encoded movies don't work. And those blasted WMV files.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's less choppy than QuickTime Player? Not for me. I use VLC for compatibility and the occasional screenshot but it's definitely not my preferred player.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
If you don't have all the codecs for QuickTime (DivX6, 3ivx, AC3, Flip4Mac etc.) and you have the preview column enabled, previewing movies is very irritating. First you get the dreaded spinning beachball, followed by the obvious "can't find codec.." message.

Now with the Intel Macs it's worse. Only the Divx6 codec is available native for QT x86.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I am thoroughly used to QT and it's excellent user interface. And Flip 4 Mac has made it so much better (especially considering how much WMP for Mac SUCKED). I still hate the way you keep having to re-buy QT Pro though, F that. I had Pro back in version 4 or 5 and haven't bothered since.

But VLC has come through with troublesome files that QT won't play. I use both equally.

It would be nice to have one do-it-all app but I really can't complain.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
MacsRgr8 said:
If you don't have all the codecs for QuickTime (DivX6, 3ivx, AC3, Flip4Mac etc.) and you have the preview column enabled, previewing movies is very irritating. First you get the dreaded spinning beachball, followed by the obvious "can't find codec.." message.

Now with the Intel Macs it's worse. Only the Divx6 codec is available native for QT x86.

There are at least a couple more out there, check out this thread.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/190105/

For me, the intel build of the xvid codec let me play the avi's I have.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
princealfie said:
I was wondering why VLC can decode video more "efficiently" than Quicktime does? For example, on the clamshell iBook, VLC can render FMV very well whereas Quicktime can't keep up and shudders. I wonder why?
I see you got your FMV on that old Tangerine iBook. :p

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
princealfie said:
Mind if I try and bring this thread back to the original question? I would like to know from some of the more tech savvy among us why this seems to be the case. And why does VLC take so long to load on machines that have apple's pro application framework installed?!

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I use both quicktime pro and VLC for viewing movies. I have to admit that overall, VLC is better than Quicktime, but quicktime has a better interface, and for movies that can both applications can play, I prefer opening them with quicktime.

Also, with Windows Media Components, Quicktime works better than VLC in .asf and .wmv... But that is after you have to wait for the damn thing to open the wmv or asf media.

ke2000

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
big hell country
princealfie said:
that was not true in Panther age. QT6.5 was efficient in decoding divx, xvid that kind of video that VLC. QT 7 has a bug that when it dropped frames(like cpu temporally over load) it became jerky for 10-20 seconds till it resume play video properly(Apple haven't solve this issue at recent updates but added more 'unwanted' feature). Additionally, if you compare cpu usage, you will notice VLC use less cpu power than QT7. I wish I can go back to panther and stick QT6, purely for better video playback experience.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I think one big difference is that VLC is much more forgiving when it encounters small quirks and errors (once you've dismissed the first one) than Quick Time Player. Especially those errors that comes from too little RAM and too slow CPU (something I encounter often with my iBook G4@800 with 640 MB RAM).

One thing I find very amusing is that if you want to play a scratched DVD (which I get a lot from my public library, and which I also know is a problem with rentals) then VLC is more than happy to play DVDs that my regular DVD player freezes up from and that even Apple's software DVD player has problems with. :)

squirrel77

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Madrid ES
Heb1228 said:
Mind if I try and bring this thread back to the original question? I would like to know from some of the more tech savvy among us why this seems to be the case. And why does VLC take so long to load on machines that have apple's pro application framework installed?!

im sure I have the latest version of apple's pro application framework installed and it isnt loading any slower for me, its quite nippy infact!

Looks like my hardware is lesser spec than yours too unless your using the slower machine you have!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Soulstorm said:
I use both quicktime pro and VLC for viewing movies. I have to admit that overall, VLC is better than Quicktime, but quicktime has a better interface, and for movies that can both applications can play, I prefer opening them with quicktime.

Also, with Windows Media Components, Quicktime works better than VLC in .asf and .wmv... But that is after you have to wait for the damn thing to open the wmv or asf media.
VLC is improving their interface in 0.85. There's a lot less need for the Controller to be open now. The 0.85 test-1 has much smoother video playback then 0.84a but the audio is flakey and doesn't always work. Then again it is a test version. I did get 4-10% less CPU usage too.

vlctest.png

dayosx

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2006
Might also wanna check out MPlayerOSX. It gives you more control over filters. I like to add noise (noise=3t) to those overly-compressed single-CD AVIs so everything doesn't look all washed out and smooth. (I need texture.)

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Eidorian said:
VLC is improving their interface in 0.85. There's a lot less need for the Controller to be open now. The 0.85 test-1 has much smoother video playback then 0.84a but the audio is flakey and doesn't always work. Then again it is a test version. I did get 4-10% less CPU usage too.

vlctest.png

Nice

Now that VLC has the controls built into the window like Quicktime, I love VLC even more.

Now it's almost perfect

steve.tmq

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
QT jumps and VLC dose not, WHY?

The first post was way back in 2006 it is now 2013 and I still can't see an answer to why Quicktime jerks more than VLC.

I have a old MB Pro 15" 1.8Ghz 2Gb RAM and OS X 6.8

I made a slide show in Aperture and exported it 1080p .MOV quicktime movie. Thinking I'll stay with Apple all the way(good idea). Well it plays well as preview in Aperture witch I believe uses the quicktime engine as all Apple App's do. But go to finder and click on the .mov file and it opens in quicktime and plays(jerky), but right click and "Open with" VLC and it opens and plays fine.

So I ask the same question WHY?

P.S. I limit my CPU speed to 1.4 as I live in Greece and in the summer it's hot BUT!!! the movie is also choppy when I let the laptop run at full speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.