Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
England
Hey

Theres a leaked safari beta around calling itself version 56 (in the about safari box) and is indeed genuine. Though I don't know if its a public release or an internal build it has found its way out. There aren't really any new features (no tabs before you ask) though there is now an iTunes style 'X' butten in the Google bar to delete what you have typed.

It also seems to be faster (snappier?) (its probably had its debug code removed lol) but seriously it seems to render a little faster, doesn't sit with a blank window for as long when entering a page. Flash also seems a little faster though I haven't checked this properly. I'm sure there will also be some bug fixes but to be honest i've not really had any issues with Safari so far (apart from some cookie/cache problems which dont look like they're fixed yet)

My guess is this will be released this week or early next week. But as I said it could just be an internal build.

I don't encourage sharing leaked software like this so I will not send it to anyone and please dont ask where I found it.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
England
Yeah but how do i prove it?

Ok i'm just trying to share some information here, I'm not out to prove anything or play games. :mad:

I could upload a snapshot of the About Safari box but then I could be accused of using Photoshop. Also would increase chances of Apple legal getting involved.

The admin at Appleinsider also has it, so if you can't trust me have a look over there.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
yeah...its around. dont worry about the flames, some people are just idiots.

and i really dont think there is an NDA around this software. If you pick up a build good for you. The open sourced nature of it makes it sketchy territory.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
England
thx

I just thought the information might be appreciated (it is?)

I've also just noticed the time out in safari has been changed from 30 seconds to 60 seconds.

About the NDA - I'm not working for Apple anyway so I don't see how that could effect me. Also there was no agreement included with the file (it didn't auto install/unmount either)

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by sparkleytone
yeah...its around. dont worry about the flames, some people are just idiots.

and i really dont think there is an NDA around this software. If you pick up a build good for you. The open sourced nature of it makes it sketchy territory.

Yes, there is an NDA in relationship to Safari any any software/hardware not released to the public. I have signed it, and no, none of the safari builds are intended for public consumption. You will be disspointed and better off waiting for the final release.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
" Yes, there is an NDA in relationship to Safari any any software/hardware not released to the public. I have signed it, and no, none of the safari builds are intended for public consumption. You will be disspointed and better off waiting for the final release."

I may be wrong...but isn't beta v51 currently intended for the public? If not...Apple should really think about taking it off thier site. ;)

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by cyks
" Yes, there is an NDA in relationship to Safari any any software/hardware not released to the public. I have signed it, and no, none of the safari builds are intended for public consumption. You will be disspointed and better off waiting for the final release."

I may be wrong...but isn't beta v51 currently intended for the public? If not...Apple should really think about taking it off thier site. ;)

Seriously... I have the latest Safari builds on my Carracho server. People throw them around like nuts. I do not think Apple cares really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.