Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure how to word this question. :confused: I have two cables that came with my Rev A 12" Powerbook. One looking like a cable that goes from the monitor output on the laptop to a projector.

The second has a USB type connector on one side, a little box, and the other side has two holes - one for a S Video cable - one for what looks like a composite cable. Are these two cables the ones I need for watching DVDs on a TV through my MBP? And how would sound work in this case?

Thanks

eV

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Yes.

With the second one (USB), you can connect an S-Video to S-Video cord between your computer and the TV (with an S-Video port). (That's kind of odd though, are you sure it's USB? Usually it's DVI.)

If your TV doesn't have an S-Video port but does have RCA jacks, you can get an adapter at a gaming-type store such as GameStop or Electronics Boutique. (Not sure if they'll have them at CompUSA or Best Buy though).

Unfortunately, the sound will only come from your laptop. I'm not quite sure how you can get the sound on the TV. (I'm actually curious about this one too.)

Please post when you're done; I'd like to know the graphics quality. I'm considering buying a DVI --> S-Video adapter for my MBP.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Hmm, it might be DVI to the laptop. I'll go home and check tonight. What would a DVI socket look like? The other end looks fine, SVideo to a SVideo on the TV or composite with a Y adaptor.

I am certain I read something on the forum about sound coming through the TV. Without it, it kinda defeats the point doesnt it? Like watching movies in a hotel room. It would be wierd to have the picture coming from the TV and the sound from a laptop

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Your only going to get video with those cables. To get sound you need another cable (Sold seperately, isn't that convenient? ;) ) which has a headphone jack on one in (which plugs into your PB's headphone jack) and red and white RCA jacks on the other end (which plug into your TV's audio input jacks). I've attached a picture of the cable you'll need for audio, which can be purchased at any Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc...

Attachments

• SmallHRCACables2to1.jpg
    SmallHRCACables2to1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 140

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
eVolcre said:
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure how to word this question. :confused: I have two cables that came with my Rev A 12" Powerbook. One looking like a cable that goes from the monitor output on the laptop to a projector.

The second has a USB type connector on one side, a little box, and the other side has two holes - one for a S Video cable - one for what looks like a composite cable. Are these two cables the ones I need for watching DVDs on a TV through my MBP? And how would sound work in this case?
The MBP has a DVI connector, the 12" PB a mini-DVI adapter. The mini-DVI adapter will not plug into the MBP without a converter. However I am not aware that such a converter exists.

If it does, it will probably cost more than the $20 it will cost to buy a DVI->Video adapter for the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.