Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I just went to the MTR site to see if they have any news, and was greeted with this page:

http://www.releasethedogs.com/mtr/

picture19fe.png

Is this well known already, or is this a new development?

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Coincidence!!! I was on their site yesterday to see if there were any advances concerning the release of the new MTR (to get round the deliberately mastered bad sector problem). Although the site was fully up and running, there were no downloads of any sort available. Hmmm. Now legal threats and stuff. Oh dear. :eek:
*runs off, fingers and everything else crossed*

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Mac the ripper development is being continued, only that now you can't obtain it directly from a website.

But if you know where to look, you can find Mac The Ripper's latest version.

Mac the Ripper had been attacked by macrovision many times.

blckout20

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
CT
Mac The Ripper is amazing and I must say there graphic really sticks it to Macrovision to. Screw the system MTR.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
MTR is a great application, I just tend to use it less now as I use HandBrake more but MTR UI is far better. For those who can dual boot dont bother using a windows only app, buy a PC!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
kingjr3 said:
For those dual booters, just boot Windows and use DVD Shrink

"Just boot Windows." Argh, it hurts my ears. :mad: Let's hope that good Mac application developers don't take this approach and that we users don't encourage it. Support Mac OS X apps development!

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
dejo said:
"Just boot Windows." Argh, it hurts my ears. :mad: Let's hope that good Mac application developers don't take this approach and that we users don't encourage it. Support Mac OS X apps development!

amen! Booting into windows should be exclusively for solitaire.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sad. :( I used this app in a way that I consider within the spirit of copyrights - essentially analogously to iTunes for music, although I deleted the HD copy for space reasons after I watched it. Nice application. I'm tired of this crap with copy protection schemes levied to control people who don't want to pay for things hurting people who are trying to use things they own.... :(

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
would it ork to just do handbrake, then drag the mpeg into imovie, and do an idvd?

if anyone doesn't have handrake at all yet, pm me, and i can email you the older version in a .zip file

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Obivously, none of you haters have used DVD Shrink...It by far the best and most fully featured (not to mention free) DVD ripping/compression application out there. So what if you have to use Windows. You are going to have to accept at some point that Apple is going to become more popular with the PC crowd. Just look at the influx of Windows based posts already on this very forum...I'm all for using the best tool for the job and DVD Shrink just happens to be that.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
kingjr3 said:
Obivously, none of you haters have used DVD Shrink...It by far the best and most fully featured (not to mention free) DVD ripping/compression application out there. So what if you have to use Windows. You are going to have to accept at some point that Apple is going to become more popular with the PC crowd. Just look at the influx of Windows based posts already on this very forum...I'm all for using the best tool for the job and DVD Shrink just happens to be that.

It's all well and good if you need to use Windows for something, but for me typing away here on my Powerbook, DVD shrink does no good. Neither does it do any good to the millions of PPC users out there. Booting into Windows isn't an option. Popularity with the 'PC crowd' has no bearing on the availability of MTR.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
gauchogolfer said:
It's all well and good if you need to use Windows for something, but for me typing away here on my Powerbook, DVD shrink does no good. Neither does it do any good to the millions of PPC users out there. Booting into Windows isn't an option. Popularity with the 'PC crowd' has no bearing on the availability of MTR.

I offered it up as an alternative for those who do happen to have the intel macs...I never suggested it would help us (including myself) stuck in the PPC world. It was already mentioned MTR is all over the internet, so that question was already answered, right?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
kingjr3 said:
I offered it up as an alternative for those who do happen to have the intel macs...I never suggested it would help us (including myself) stuck in the PPC world. It was already mentioned MTR is all over the internet, so that question was already answered, right?

You're right, I apologize if that came off as a bit short-tempered. I guess I'm a new enough switcher to get my hackles raised when the "boot into Windows" card is played. Sorry about that.:)

blckout20

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
CT
Lord Blackadder said:
What is the latest version anyway? 2.6.6?

Yes, but there is a BETA version of 3.0 if you're willing to make a donation. I'm waiting for 3.0 to make its full release.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Two Thumbs WAY Up!

gauchogolfer said:
I always recommend Fast DVD Copy (http://www.fastdvdcopy.com/)

It's not free but software this good deserves to be paid for! Fast DVD Copy offers one-click copying of DVDs and is painless to use. My favorite feature is the ability for Fast DVD Copy of automatically re-encode a dual-layer disc to fit on a single-layer disc, etc. You can also go into an advanced menu and selectively remove DVD extras, alternate voice tracks, etc to shrink the size of a disc.

Fast DVD Copy also removes region encoding, CSS, and Macrovision protection.

It's also a Universal binary as well.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
blckout20 said:
Yes, but there is a BETA version of 3.0 if you're willing to make a donation. I'm waiting for 3.0 to make its full release.
The Beta version works OK but is still problematic for certain things (main feature extraction, for example). However, I expect it to be released shortly. Also, 2.6.6 runs fine on Intel Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.