Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
I just noticed a new folder at the root level:

sw

Inside was:

lib

Inside this:

libcrypto.0.9.6.dylib
libcurl.2.0.2.dylib
libcurl.2.dylib
libdl.0.dylib
libssl.0.9.6.dylib

Any idea what this is for?

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
Did you install Virex? Virex added a bunch of ugly stuff in my system, an 'sw' folder being one of them. I used the install log and Path Finder to get rid of all of it.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
that's also the folder that fink installs into, but they just posted a thing on how virex screws fink up by installing stuff into its folder, so this is probably virex. you would know if you had fink.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Date of creation was around noontime 14 Feb, so it can't be Virex, as I updated that program by downloading the new version earlier in the month.

I did download X.2.4 in the early (nighttime) morning of 14 Feb, so that's what it has to be -- though I still don't know what it is.

BTW, what's fink?

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by shakespeare
Did you install Virex? Virex added a bunch of ugly stuff in my system, an 'sw' folder being one of them. I used the install log and Path Finder to get rid of all of it.

Shakespeare,

Now that you got rid of the sw folder, does your Virex still work? I did the same thing you did, and I found that Virex stopped working. So, I reinstalled and just left the sw folder.

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
Oh, no, no, no, I was so angered by the presence of the 'sw' folder that I got rid of Virex altogether.

I do not appreciate ugliness! They could have accomplished everything they wanted to by a simple application and a Library/Application Support/Virex folder. But noooo. I was not happy. ;)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Date of creation was around noontime 14 Feb, so it can't be Virex, as I updated that program by downloading the new version earlier in the month.

I did download X.2.4 in the early (nighttime) morning of 14 Feb, so that's what it has to be -- though I still don't know what it is.

BTW, what's fink?

http://fink.sourceforge.net

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.