Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milkdev

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Germany
Hi maccies,

I'd like to add a little overlay image to the lower-right of a video.
I tried to use iMovie HD 6, but I can't find such a function.

Is there a plugin or a little app that lets me do this?

Freeware/Shareware and Universal Binary would be great!

Thanks in advance

theorem7

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2006
There are a couple of different shareware/demos that could allow you to do this: cfx (under Matting/Compositing), eZedia, or Stupendous Software. Most of these allow limited usability. I have tried some of them out before, and they work ok, but there is a better method (in my opinion) if you have purchased Quicktime Pro. I know it's not free, but it really does come in handy if you haven't bought it yet, and in my opinion it is definitely worth the $30.

To do it in QT Pro, just export the final product from QT Pro to a full quality dv file, open it up in QT Pro, and then go File>Open File, choose your picture, and open it. Then use the sliders at the bottom to select the whole track of the picture and copy that. Then go back to the movie and select the whole track. Then go Edit>Add to Selection and Scale. To get it in the bottom-right hand corner, go Window>Show Movie Properties, select Video Track 2, and then Resources, and you can change the size, position, or overlay mode there.

milkdev

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Germany
theorem7 said:
I have tried some of them out before, and they work ok, but there is a better method (in my opinion) if you have purchased Quicktime Pro. I know it's not free, but it really does come in handy if you haven't bought it yet, and in my opinion it is definitely worth the $30.

To do it in QT Pro, just export the final product from QT Pro to a full quality dv file, open it up in QT Pro, and then go File>Open File, choose your picture, and open it. Then use the sliders at the bottom to select the whole track of the picture and copy that. Then go back to the movie and select the whole track. Then go Edit>Add to Selection and Scale. To get it in the bottom-right hand corner, go Window>Show Movie Properties, select Video Track 2, and then Resources, and you can change the size, position, or overlay mode there.

I just bought QT Pro and it really works like a charm! :)

Thanks a lot.

ukulelecraig

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Culver City
For the iMovie challenged.

I'm desperately trying to put ukulele chord graphics [block chord diagrams] into a video. I have QuickTime pro, but am missing the basics of how to do this. The previous answer went over my head.

I sincerely appreciate your response and patience.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The above instructions for QT Pro are literally as simple as they get ... it wasn't meant to be easy, as QT is not a video editor.

Your best bet will be to get Final Cut Express, especially if you will be making several movies or the graphic will change throughout the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.