Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ribbonthecat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
I have a a 3G 15GB Ipod that stopped working. I replaced the battery with a battery from Sonnet. Now, the when I turn it on, I see the Apple for about 10 seconds, and then it switches to the folder with an exclamation point, and then goes back to the Apple quickly.

When I plug it into my Powerbook, it stays on the folder for a while, and then goes to a screen that says "Disk Mode" at the top, with a large check mark, and "OK to disconnect." When it is plugged in, it accepts a charge, but my computer does not recognize it.

Is the iPod dead? What is Disk Mode? Can I get out of it?

(I'm using a 12' 1.5 PB with 512MB of RAM).

ribbonthecat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
Also, now, when I left it out with the case open, and the battery ended its charge, it made fairly loud, sharp, beeping noises.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
I'd say it was probably dead. I've got the same model and it's slowly dying on me now - not responding or whatever. I'm getting a 5g in july though....

ribbonthecat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
Thanks, Jive. That has been my conclusion as well.

OK, so is there any way I can salvage the hard drive (assuming the problem does not lie in that) and put it into a small USB powered external enclosure?

Icespiker

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2005
Colorado
I got the same iPod model. I've seen this happen before though, it happened in my friend's 60gig color display iPod. The hard drive crashed and burned and near explosion. Well, it wasn't that exciting, it just showed symptoms similar to yours. Hope this helps.
He took it back to the Apple store and they gave him a new/refurb one.

Zeeshan

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
Southern California
You can probably put the hard drive into a usb enclusure and try to take everything off of it onto your computer, but its dying a slow death, so do it quick before it does for good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.