Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umrdad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
OK I'm not a computer whiz (that's why I use mac:) ) here's my problem I need to convert an e-book that's in pdf format to word and I don't have adobe just preview since this book is 300+ pages I really don't want to do it one page at a time and there's also images, charts, tables, etc. in the book. Any ideas? am I screwed? or will I have to have adobe or something else?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I have to ask: just why exactly do you need to do this?

eBooks are usually locked down to protect from unauthorised duplication, content extraction and the like.

umrdad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
I don't know if it was locked or not, it was a free download, the reason I need to do this is a friends father was in the korean conflict (east side of chosin when china intervened) he's been writing his memoirs and yes he's a windows user and getting along in years and not a computer whiz either. I burned a cd of the download but he's not been able to open it up to read it (I'm guessing that something isn't set right on his computer but I can't help w/that) but if I can convert it to word document then he shouldn't have any problem

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
the easy solution seems to be: installing adobe acrobat reader on his coputer... it's free and reads pdf... Even for a total computer rookie it shouldn't be a problem as long as he's got an internet connection...

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
umrdad said:
OK I'm not a computer whiz (that's why I use mac:) ) here's my problem I need to convert an e-book that's in pdf format to word and I don't have adobe just preview since this book is 300+ pages I really don't want to do it one page at a time and there's also images, charts, tables, etc. in the book. Any ideas? am I screwed? or will I have to have adobe or something else?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21776

My guess you won't have enough permissions to do it. However if you have print permissions you can probably get around it. You may be able to convert the pdf to a ps file with ghost, but probably doubt because the security. however, if you have a windows machine and they give you rights to print. install a laser printer with ps support (hp color laser 8500). after that just print the pdf, but some place in the printing option direct to "Print to file" and it will dump it into a ps file. just copy that back over to your mac and preview will convert back to a unprotected pdf. after that use the software above to convert to word. although, if you a have windows machine simply googling to find some software to do that same thing would probably be the cheaper way to go.

umrdad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
it looks like preview will allow me to print the book but I don't want to print 300+ pages (not concerned w/paper but we all know ink cartridges run out halfway through the job) what is ps? there's much I don't know how to do with a mac, and other than turning them on don't know squat about winders

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
ok here you go.
open it in preview.
then at the top click the "A"
Picture 1.png
then select all. then copy. and paste into word.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
the Western zoo said:
the easy solution seems to be: installing adobe acrobat reader on his coputer... it's free and reads pdf... Even for a total computer rookie it shouldn't be a problem as long as he's got an internet connection...
Quite.

Even if you select the text and copy to word you'll loose the pictures...

Surely it's not too much to ask to get him to head over to Adobe's website and install acrobat reader? Or if that doesn't work or he's on dialup why not try Foxit PDF Reader, it's highy rated on Download.com, only 1.2MB and doesn't even need to be installed to run on Windows.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
umrdad said:
it looks like preview will allow me to print the book but I don't want to print 300+ pages (not concerned w/paper but we all know ink cartridges run out halfway through the job) what is ps? there's much I don't know how to do with a mac, and other than turning them on don't know squat about winders

ps is a postscript file. if you didn't follow my post then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

umrdad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
many thanks everyone

I really appreciate everyone's input rokem especially. . . .kinda hated losing the pics but the text and references were more important. . . .also see getting PDF2Offfice in the very near future looks like it will solve many problems w/file conversions

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
umrdad said:
I really appreciate everyone's input rokem especially. . . .kinda hated losing the pics but the text and references were more important. . . .also see getting PDF2Offfice in the very near future looks like it will solve many problems w/file conversions

everybody should have the ability to read pdf files......it's a simple and free download to get adobe reader.......the whole concept of having to convert a file to a word document is just backwards

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I think Adobe Acrobat Professional will allow you to do this. Not 100% sure though. Even so, its ridiculous someone in this day and age can't open a pdf. Its as good as an industry standard by now. Every computer should have the software to open pdfs, just download it.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
umrdad said:

Seriously why don't you just install the software to read pdf's (Foxit PDF Reader doesn't even need installing on any version of Windows from Windows 95.) just download it and burn it onto a CD and run it, it's an essential computer program, you need one to read many online documents too....:confused:

Why do you want to spend upwards of $60 to convert to Office? (the cost of PDF2Office) It's a total waste of money as far as I can see, especially as the software to read PDF's is free and almost certainly a smaller download too...

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Glad i could be some help. :)
Is their some reson you couldn't put the file on the cd with foxit? If i remember correctly its just an .exe and could be run right off the cd.

Edit: opps I didn't read the earlier post...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.