Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
So I have been wiping and cleaning out an old machine of ours (a 700 mhz g4 imac) to give to my little cousin. This machine has worked for the most part perfectly through out its life but starting with with trouble with installing a fresh copy of tiger it appears that the machine stopped reading dvd discs. It will read cd's fine but simply wont see dvds that i put in , such as the ilife 06 install dvd. CD's on the other hand work perfectly. Im fairly sure its a drive problem, unless you guys think it could be something else, sense the machine has been through its paces it wouldn't be to surprising. But yeah so my question is, am i better off buying an external optical drive to use with the machine or buying a internal drive. And in either case what are the best and easiest to use drives to get for a mac. And if i go with a new internal drive how hard is it to replace the drive in a g4 imac?

Thanks ahead of time:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.