Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
My friend's had her iBook for 2 years, and it's been fine. However, the battery seems to now not charge up fully - even when being plugged into the mains for at least a couple of days at a time, the plug still glows orange. Now when she starts it up, it goes to the initial Apple screen and then nothing. She's tried it without the battery in and it does the same thing.

I can't think what the problem is, and she's going into panic mode as her main piece of coursework is on the thing and the deadline's getting closer and closer.

The only 'good' thing is that it isn't a harddrive problem, so her work should be safe.

Anyone got any ideas?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just to clarify, you're saying that the computer behaves the same way when plugged into the outlet with or without the battery installed?

That would mean that it's not a battery problem, but likely a power supply issue.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Is this an Ibook G3 or G4?

There are some quirky issues with power management systems on older G3 ibooks. My old iBook G3 600 had a similar issue, it didn't matter if the battery was connected or not.

Do you know if when this ibook was last fully booted, did it get shut down normally before, or crash and just power off ?

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
840quadra said:
Is this an Ibook G3 or G4?

There are some quirky issues with power management systems on older G3 ibooks. My old iBook G3 600 had a similar issue, it didn't matter if the battery was connected or not.

Do you know if when this ibook was last fully booted, did it get shut down normally before, or crash and just power off ?

I believe she bought it from new, 2 years ago - so I'm presuming it'll be a G4. I think it booted fine the day before, but she had again been mentioning that the power cord light was continually on orange.

WildCowboy said:
That would mean that it's not a battery problem, but likely a power supply issue.

I think you're probably right.

She's taking it to the local Apple reseller to see if they can do something with it.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Can she boot from the OSX install disc? If she can, she should try an archive install; it will replace the OS without damaging any files. But first and foremost, she should try repairing the disc if she can boot from the install, or booting into single user mode (command+s on startup).

Another option is to reset the PRAM, that might help. Option+command+P+R, I usually let it go for five tones...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.