Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:10 PM   #1
Timothy
macrumors 6502

Regional Forums? [Merged]

I've been hanging around MacRumors for years now, but I find myself posting less and less. Why? The major threads tend to fill up way too quickly, and there is so much repetitive posting, that the discussions seem to lose my interest.

Here's a thought; why not regionalize MacRumors? Split us into groups, so that we can maintain some sense of community, we can slow the rate of posting on the big threads, and feel as though we can participate on some manageable level.

Anyway, just an idea. I think MacRumors has grown too large.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:15 PM   #2
stoid
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy
I think MacRumors has grown too large.
Don't go visit spyMac then.

I personally don't post in the 'big' threads too often, but that's the fun part about these discussions, just getting to read what other people think, and react to those thoughts in your own way. If macRumors split up into regions, you'd miss out on ideas that you might otherwise see. That's what the different sub-forums are for. Not to go off-topic, but it would be nice to have a forum for foreign languages that could be all in German or French or Spanish or Chinese or whatever for our overseas friends.
stoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:19 PM   #3
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

nice name Timothy, i like it because we share it LoL, but i totally understand where you are comming from, i go on posting spurts because there is a lot of repetition and once a thread reaches a certain size there really isnt that much more you can say about the topic, unless of course the topic has essentially changed, ect, but Stoid is right that we would be losing somethings too....i feel like this place is crowded sometimes, other times i feel like the only one here.....
Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:43 AM   #4
kettle
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kettle
?

You mean macrumours.co.uk?
kettle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 03:30 PM   #5
baby duck monge
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis
there is a lot of repetition and once a thread reaches a certain size there really isnt that much more you can say about the topic, unless of course the topic has essentially changed
this may be true, but i think there is another reason that these long threads get incredibly repetitive: people don't bother reading what has already been posted (this is particularly bad when the post begins by telling you that they have not read the other posts and what they are going to say/ask will probably be repeating someone else's post. and it is.), or they just want to make a "me too" post. if people would take the time to read threads before posting, and would think about their post before making it, threads would be a lot shorter and would probably cover more ground.

just my thoughts about it, anyway.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 02:07 AM   #6
MacFan26
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to MacFan26
Yeah, I don't often post in the really long threads either, I always figure that someone has already said what I was going to post. But it is good to have one MacRumors, it's great to hear from so many different people!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 02:16 AM   #7
Mav451
macrumors 68000

I think repetitive posts is just an inherent disadvantage on multiple paged threads...its not just here. Take a look at other forums. I don't think there's one easy solution, I mean most forums already have the "No one-word response, please read the entire thread" tip at the beginning.

I think it'd be nice if 10 page threads, for example, at least let you select like the pages in 3-4 page intervals. Usually I see 1,2,3 Last, which forces you to use multiple clicks just to get to page 5 or 6. Maybe 1-3, 4-7, 8-10 or something like that would make it easier. I dunno.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:55 PM   #8
j26
macrumors 65816

Regional Forums??

I think it might be a good idea to have regional forums for the international users on macrumors. It would be handy for these users to have somewhere to ask country specific questions without having hunderds of bemused Americans point to US solutions which may be of no use to us.

Obviously most issues people have are common to everyone and should go on the main boards, but say I want to ask about the Irish iTunes Store, or an Irish rebate offer, it's of no interest to US posters, and a waste of bandwith to have on the general boards.

The regions I'd suggest are;
* Ireland/UK
* Continental Europe
* Southern Americas
* Asia
* Australia/New Zealand
* Africa
But obviously these could be altered.

Anyone else think this is a good idea??
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:58 PM   #9
spicyapple
macrumors 68000

No. We can have a Paddyland sub-forum where you can be the only member to post there.
spicyapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:09 PM   #10
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

And where's the North American forum? Don't we get our own? (:

For the record: I don't think it's necessary. I honestly don't see this being an issue all that often, and when it is, it is usually pointed out quickly and set on the right track.
tobefirst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:12 PM   #11
j26
macrumors 65816

Ye have the whole thing at the moment, quit whining!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefirst
And where's the North American forum? Don't we get our own? (:
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:15 PM   #12
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by j26
Ye have the whole thing at the moment, quit whining!!
Not good enough. (:
tobefirst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:10 PM   #13
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

No. All it takes is to put the country of relevance in the post title and maybe emphasised in the first paragraph.

Why duplicate identical forums across continents? If I have a query, I hope the best-qualified person might help, not the geographically-closest.

Forum proliferation: go with the Steve, don't add features you could withdraw later.*

*Except for Firewire on iPods. But that doesn't count, does it hmmm?
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:44 PM   #14
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
No. All it takes is to put the country of relevance in the post title and maybe emphasised in the first paragraph.

Why duplicate identical forums across continents? If I have a query, I hope the best-qualified person might help, not the geographically-closest.

Forum proliferation: go with the Steve, don't add features you could withdraw later.*

*Except for Firewire on iPods. But that doesn't count, does it hmmm?
That certainly makes the most sense.

Why are we re-visiting this idea? Isn't the last thread about this still out there?
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:52 PM   #15
j26
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyapple
No. We can have a Paddyland sub-forum where you can be the only member to post there.
Oooh, King of my own domain!!
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:56 PM   #16
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by j26
Oooh, King of my own domain!!
No... master of your domain.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:20 PM   #17
Kwyjibo
macrumors 68040

when I read the topic I thought this would include division of the continental united states suck as by time zone, but without those its not that great ...
Kwyjibo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 01:29 AM   #18
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
No... master of your domain.
What is this, Mistress Velvet?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:28 PM   #19
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by j26
No. It's really that people need to ask better questions. People ask about iTunes problems that seem nonsensical because they're running it on Windows and neglected to say so. Or they have hardware problems but don't say what kind Mac they have. Or they just assume that everyone remembers that they are staying in a different country from the one in their location banner. Or they assume that posters' location reflects their nationality (my pet peeve).

For pop culture stuff, a quick Google usually clears up any puzzlement, so that's no big deal.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 01:41 AM   #20
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
No. It's really that people need to ask better questions. People ask about iTunes problems that seem nonsensical because they're running it on Windows and neglected to say so. Or they have hardware problems but don't say what kind Mac they have. Or they just assume that everyone remembers that they are staying in a different country from the one in their location banner. Or they assume that posters' location reflects their nationality (my pet peeve).

For pop culture stuff, a quick Google usually clears up any puzzlement, so that's no big deal.
Assumptions are the bane of civilisation, aren't they?

Ask (properly), and you will receive.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:51 AM   #21
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Australians know everything so we wouldn't need a fourm. Although, I guess we could put aside a spot where we could tell the New Zealanders what's what. They're nice people...

Last edited by mad jew; Aug 17, 2006 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Misspelt sheep.
mad jew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by j26 View Post
I think it might be a good idea to have regional forums for the international users on macrumors. It would be handy for these users to have somewhere to ask country specific questions without having hunderds of bemused Americans point to US solutions which may be of no use to us.

Obviously most issues people have are common to everyone and should go on the main boards, but say I want to ask about the Irish iTunes Store, or an Irish rebate offer, it's of no interest to US posters, and a waste of bandwith to have on the general boards.

The regions I'd suggest are;
* Ireland/UK
* Continental Europe
* Southern Americas
* Asia
* Australia/New Zealand
* Africa
But obviously these could be altered.

There is no "Southern Americas" - it's North, Central and South America - besides, Brazil for instance is not hispanic or "latino" (whatever that nonsense means, of course).

So it might make more sense to group languages together (in my view a much stronger integration factor) instead of lumping diverse countries from the same geographical area in a non-integrated community.

I for one would love to see that in MR; it would make it easier for people to discuss, especially when they are not fluent in English.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Not sure there would be enough interest. Seems almost like a thread could handle it in the interim.
Worth trying - then you can check the results/success rate and revert in case it doesn't work. Think of it as a "stock split" for MR.
50548 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:06 PM   #23
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
I for one would love to see that in MR; it would make it easier for people to discuss, especially when they are not fluent in English.
While I would be ok with regional/country sub forums I think English still should remain main/only language. Not sure if MR would have enough moderator in all relevant languages to keep the site under control. And it's a good way to learn/improve English (I'm trying hard )
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:19 PM   #24
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
...besides, Brazil for instance is not hispanic or "latino" (whatever that nonsense means, of course).
Actually, Brazilians are Latino's. One of my good friend's is a Brazilian and I just texted him to clarify. Additionally, Wikipedia advises the same.

Quote:
"Latino" is more frequently used to refer more generally to anyone of Latin American origin or ancestry, including Brazilians
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:33 PM   #25
marshallbedsaul
macrumors 6502a

any chance for a regional section

Not sure if this has been asked or mentioned, so how would a region section be.
Example
capital area
tri-state

ect... just a sub forum local users to find other locals ect...?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback