Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Souljas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Does anyone know if there is any software or a way to find out what type of font is used on a website?

Thanks
Soul

L

Lau

What website is it? It's a bit harder if it's Flash, but if it's built using html you can right click and "View Source" and it will be in there somewhere. If you can post a link to the site we can probably tell you the font and how to find the font in that type of website in the future. :)

L

Lau

Souljas said:
thanks for the reply, the page source does work just need to find it....a pretty normal font..

http://www.bulgari.com/splash.php

the font I am looking for is the 'ENGLISH' link under the logo.

Thanks

Ah, you see how if you right click over the "English" link, it says a load of stuff about Zoom In, and Macromedia Flash Player 9, unfortunately when you see that it usually means the site (or at least the part you want to see) is in Flash, so I don't think there's a way to get in and see the files.

However, I could be wrong as the text is small and fuzzy, but have you had a look at Myriad? It looks remarkably similar, and may well be close enough for your needs. :) I think, although I could be wrong, that it should come with your Mac.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
WhatTheFont is a great site...I zoomed in on the text, took a screenshot and uploaded it to WhatThe Font. All the hits are variations of Gill Sans, which basically all look identical to me.

Picture 3.png

L

Lau

apfhex said:
Don't think you can find out what font's in a Flash file, but on that site it looks like something very plain like Arial.

Hmm, I don't think it's Arial, because the "G" is really round in Arial. Myriad looks close to me, but I'm not 100% sure, it's a bit more elongated. Close though.

Original:
Picture 3.png

Myriad:
Picture 1.png

Arial:
Picture 2.png

Having said that, any simple font like Arial would get a pretty similar effect at that size if you haven't got Myriad.

Edit: WildCowboy, yes, Gill Sans is definitely close too:

Picture 4.png

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i don't think myriad comes pre-installed on macs. it is, however, loaded on many (if not all) of the demo computers in the apple store (at least where i live). now i'm not condoning stealing fonts, as i got myriad from a friend, but those computers access the internet, which i understand is very good for accessing e-mail.

that said, i don't think that font is myriad. i think you should send an e-mail to the webmaster. i can't imagine why s/he wouldn't send over the font name.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
WildCowboy said:
I zoomed in on the text, took a screenshot and uploaded it to WhatThe Font.
Good idea, I'm so used to people just including raster images in flash documents...

Lau said:
Hmm, I don't think it's Arial, because the "G" is really round in Arial. Myriad looks close to me, but I'm not 100% sure, it's a bit more elongated. Close though.

Having said that, any simple font like Arial would get a pretty similar effect at that size if you haven't got Myriad.
I was just guessing at that small size. Didn't look like Myriad to me, but actually it's kind of distorted so it doesn't make a perfect match with any of the aforementioned typefaces. If you zoom in it looks to be just about any of them. But indeed, any plain sans-serif would produce a similar effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.