Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
The AppleTV is overengineered and under featured.

So it actually has its own dedicated Intel processor and hard drive, but who cares?! It only support 2 video formats!

Pfft.

Can't wait for some Linux fanboi to hack one of these and produce a new open source firmware with more functionality.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Can't wait for some Linux fanboi to hack one of these and produce a new open source firmware with more functionality.
Slim chance of that. The Linux gang can't handle HD hardware yet--and the Apple TV outputs over component or HDMI (i.e. it requires at least an EDTV; no analog SDTVs are supported). Given the fact that it's ready to go as a full HD set-top box, it's actually quite cheap, if you're willing to accept the limitations of the formats it can play.

It is NOT a Slingbox. If you're just looking to pipe some video output to your TV, this isn't it. This doesn't require you wasting desktop space or using your computer's keyboard/mouse/remote to work through it. At the very least, it's a portable iTunes client with full digital and HD support, which is WELL worth the price of an iPod.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
lately i've been watching movies that i ripped and transferred to my ipod. i connect the ipod to the tv and it looks pretty good. not as good as DVD, but good enough for me. i like that i can keep lots of movies in my 60 gig hard drive.

for music, i use my bose quiet comfort 2 headphones. for pix, the macbook screen is good enough for me.

now, i could spend 300 bucks and get all these together on my tv. not sure if it's worth it.

macphin

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
does anyone know, can apple tv play radio which are in my iTunes? this is really important to me, because I often listen radio on my mac, but it would be cool to do that on my music center?

why does it have an optical audio out? Is it only for stereo? I thought that optical audio does 5.1 out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.