Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Asheville, NC
I am looking for a way to play DVD-Audio on my Rev A iMac G5. I have been told it is capable but all I need to do is find software for it. I know Creative sound cards allow PC users to play DVD-A on their PC's but this does me no good. maybe if I had an Intel Mac but I don't. There is also DVD-A authoring software available for Mac but it is not a player.

does anyone know of any software available that would allow me to play DVD-A on me iMac?

I sure wish iTunes would play them. would be nice if we couold get Apple to do this for us.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't heard of any software that can play these. I own one (got it for free) so I'd like to be able to try it out one day, but no luck yet :(

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
There is NO software to playback DVD-A discs on Mac. In fact, there is only one program period, to play back DVD-A discs, and that's from Creative Labs (Windows only).

There is software to create DVD-A discs, but not playback on a Mac, funny enough.

This is the current sad state we are in, unfortunately.

nose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Asheville, NC
Win DVD 7 will also play back DVD-A, but it's Windows only!

I wish I had one of the Intel Mac's! I would get one of those external sound cards from Creative. I bet anything it would work when running Windows and the Creative software for DVD-A playback.

problem is I listen to audio from me iMac going into an external DAC then to me receiver or headphone amp and I doubt the DAC would receive the digital signal do to the DVD-A protection. only analog output is allowed on the Creative sound cards when playing DVD-A but I reckon I could go from there.

sure wish iTunes allowed DVD-A playback!

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
I bought my first DVD-A today, just to see if I could notice an improvement in sound. Its a shame I wont be able to play it in OS X.

Looks like I'll have to boot into Windows to have a listen. :(

Oh well.

Need to get a hold of DVD 7 now. Typical!

nose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Asheville, NC
I bought my first DVD-A today, just to see if I could notice an improvement in sound. Its a shame I wont be able to play it in OS X.

Looks like I'll have to boot into Windows to have a listen. :(

Oh well.

Need to get a hold of DVD 7 now. Typical!

be sure and let us now how it sounds and how well it works!

is there anyway that you can see if you can ouput the signal through the optical out when using DVD 7? just wondering since I have an external DAC and would like to get a DVD signal out to it if I can ever get an Intel Mac.

have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.