Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:28 PM   #1
MBM007
macrumors regular

Apple keyboard Num Lock?

I know this is an insanely n00bish question but I've never figured out how to turn the Num Lock on....I have a Apple wireless keyboard.

thanks for the help
MBM007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2
bearbo
macrumors 68000

if you use the apple wireless keyboard, in OS X, there is no num lock. the number keypad on the right is on number all the time.

if you use it in Windows, press the key that's at the normal location of PC keyboard num lock... i think it says clear, but i can be well wrong.

Edit: actually, i'm not, it does say clear
bearbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:54 PM   #3
dllavaneras
macrumors 68000

I've had my mac for over 5 years and still haven't found out what it does. The led doesn't even light up
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4
bearbo
macrumors 68000

i don't think there's a LED for the clear key... there's a LED for the caps lock tho
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
dllavaneras
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbo View Post
i don't think there's a LED for the clear key... there's a LED for the caps lock tho
There is, exactly like the one on the Caps Lock key
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:01 PM   #6
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllavaneras View Post
I've had my mac for over 5 years and still haven't found out what it does. The led doesn't even light up
the clear key? it clears. lol

for example open up your calculator or go to the widget... start computing. clear will clear it out
PlaceofDis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:33 PM   #7
MBM007
macrumors regular

Well thats strange....my keypad has never worked from day 1 then...I've never had much use for it so I haven't complained....its strange because my =/*-+ and volume/eject keys all work....its just the numbers that dont work...if I happen to hit "0" on the keypad my comp freezes for a bit....I don't know what is going on
MBM007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:42 PM   #8
bearbo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllavaneras View Post
There is, exactly like the one on the Caps Lock key
can you tell me where the LED for the num lock is?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:36 PM   #9
anishr28
macrumors newbie

i never got the answer to the problem......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM007 View Post
Well thats strange....my keypad has never worked from day 1 then...I've never had much use for it so I haven't complained....its strange because my =/*-+ and volume/eject keys all work....its just the numbers that dont work...if I happen to hit "0" on the keypad my comp freezes for a bit....I don't know what is going on
hey....... i never got the answer to ur prob abt the +-* keys working on the numpad but the numeric keys not working at all.............. the screen freezes over and thats it..... i have tried this out with a number of applications including text edit and word for mac..... and by the way.....the numpad works fine for another account on the same mac but not on my account......... i have also tried universal access and thats no help at all........please help......... regards..

i have an imac 2007 2.0 ghz 20" intel core 2 duo
anishr28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:24 AM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM007 View Post
I know this is an insanely n00bish question but I've never figured out how to turn the Num Lock on....I have a Apple wireless keyboard.
There is no Num Lock key on the Apple Wireless Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbo View Post
if you use the apple wireless keyboard, in OS X, there is no num lock. the number keypad on the right is on number all the time.
There is no number keypad on the Apple Wireless Keyboard... only the Wired Keyboard.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 03:40 PM   #11
padits
macrumors newbie

apple keyboard num lock!!!

Hello forum members,

possible I have the solution about the numbers problem, as have forum member MBM007,
please go to system in the systemmenu then go to universal entry or so (I am not sure because I read the program in an other language) bleu round sign with a person inside. op this menu than go to mouse and the first you see put them on out. now must be everything normal, by me it is working also for my wireless blue tooth keyboard with have also many problems before.
padits is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:15 PM   #12
heldschi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by padits View Post
Hello forum members,

possible I have the solution about the numbers problem, as have forum member MBM007,
please go to system in the systemmenu then go to universal entry or so (I am not sure because I read the program in an other language) bleu round sign with a person inside. op this menu than go to mouse and the first you see put them on out. now must be everything normal, by me it is working also for my wireless blue tooth keyboard with have also many problems before.
YESSS!!!!! I WORKED THANK YOU SOOO MUCH I SEARCHED IN THE INTERNET FOR LIKE 1:30 HOURS!!!!!!!
heldschi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Linnintek
macrumors newbie

Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by padits View Post
Hello forum members,

I use music composition software and the non functioning num. Pad a been more than a pain in the butt for the last few years, the problem I had on 2 machines and both keyboards is now solved thanks to this chap, it is indeed sys. Prefs/universal/mouse/mouse keys - turn off mouse keys and like magic the num. Pad works, what a major flaw in the os. And there is nothing to tell you this in help "my numerical key pad doesn't work" - "turn the num. Lock off!" !!!!
Linnintek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 01:11 PM   #14
dijango999
macrumors newbie

dijango999

hai friends
there is a solution for this mater
follow me
first go to [SIZE="5"]system preference > universal accss> Mouse on that window just turn off the mouse keys
so if iam right pls give me the feedback so every one bye take care
dijango999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:47 AM   #15
crystalack
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijango999 View Post
hai friends
there is a solution for this mater
follow me
first go to [SIZE="5"]system preference > universal accss> Mouse on that window just turn off the mouse keys
so if iam right pls give me the feedback so every one bye take care

THAT WORKED! -- THANK GOD, AND THANK YOU
crystalack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:24 PM   #16
CrapMACuser
macrumors newbie

Num lock

I have a problem too - my num lock needs to be on so that i can type. Its just happened today. When you turn it off nothing happens when you type. Please help someone!
CrapMACuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:52 AM   #17
frojive
macrumors newbie

keypad in Quark

I found a thread on here that talked about the clear key also works as a numlock.

My keypad works every were but in Quark. Actually it stopped working just a few minutes ago. I think I accidentally hit some type of key command that caused it to change. The 4,8, and 9 work. If I hold down the shift key all the keypad works as normal.

Can anyone tell me what I did, and how to fix it?
frojive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 01:41 AM   #18
chaundra81
macrumors newbie

replying to apple keyboard post

Hello,

I was wondering the same thing about the apple keyboard and it does not have a num lock button. it is a clear button and that is what toggles the on and off option for the number pad. It also does not have any light, so you have to try the numbers to see if you have it on or not!

Hope this helped simple and right to the point!!
good luck!
chaundra81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:15 PM   #19
swulf205
macrumors newbie

number pad fix (hopefully for you)

on my keyboard there is no num lock or lights if you go into the system preference and then universal access and click the mouse there is a spot to uncheck it says mouse keys on/off to use the side numbers as numbers or it says you can it f6 (5x) it should change it also. Hope this helps you because it was driving me nuts too. Good Luck
swulf205 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:52 PM   #20
DenVog
macrumors newbie

NumLock App Project

Like some of you, I recently had to ditch my Apple extended keyboard, and was really missing the number pad. I started a NumLock project in an attempt to bring it back as an app, where you can use a menu item, or customizable hotkey combination.

If it sounds useful to you, I'd greatly appreciate your backing and help to spread the word. Click the Facebook and Twitter buttons on the Kickstarter page, or include the link when using your social media platform of choice. A couple clicks make a HUGE difference.

Thanks for your help!
DenVog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:04 PM   #21
aritjahja
macrumors newbie

My problem is different regarding this numeric keypad problem. I have a relatively cheap external USB numeric keypad. It had worked just fine with my MacBookPro5,5 under Snow Leopard, but it has stopped working ever since I upgraded to Lion until Mavericks. It works just fine with my friends' PC notebooks. It also doesn't work on my friend's MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion preinstalled.
I have tried suggestions/tips I have found on the web, such as: deactivate Mouse Key from System Preferences, pressing clear button, pressing F6 button, holding the Num Lock button on the device until it gets plugged, and trying with another user account whether it's a problem of corrupted preference file.
I suspect it got to do with a driver problem that no longer supporting my numeric keyboard ever since Apple abandoned Rosetta with the introduction of Lion.
aritjahja is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help