Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Will much of what I learn trying to program X with Xcode and the X11 server in OS X carry over to linux?

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Will much of what I learn trying to program X with Xcode and the X11 server in OS X carry over to linux?

depends on what toolkit of you are using. If you are doing X programming itself then yes you will probably be able to keep a few things (as most X implementations are similar).

If you are using a toolkit such as GTK then yes you will be able to keep the experience because they are the same on all platforms.

Why would you want to do X11 development anyway? Why not just use a cross platform toolkit like QT?

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom

In fact, after giving this more thought, why not just use a proper cross platform language like java, that way you won't have to know anything about any of the platforms you are using. Netbeans has come up in leaps and bounds with GUI development with swing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.