Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Hi,

So you can take a divx or xvid video in quicktime and save as a .mov with no encoding, and iTunes will play it no problem. However, will Apple TV?

Thanks for the help.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi,

So you can take a divx or xvid video in quicktime and save as a .mov with no encoding, and iTunes will play it no problem. However, will Apple TV?

Thanks for the help.
I don't know how that's even possible in iTunes (Quicktime really). As far as I know, OS X doesn't care what the extension is. If the file is really a divx, even if you rename it .mov, OS X will know it's still a divx file. OS X isn't as dumb as Windows in this regard.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I don't know how that's even possible in iTunes (Quicktime really). As far as I know, OS X doesn't care what the extension is. If the file is really a divx, even if you rename it .mov, OS X will know it's still a divx file. OS X isn't as dumb as Windows in this regard.

Thanks for the help. It really does work for me inside OS X, but I guess Apple TV won't have everything my computer has to play it.

But yeah I put divx and xvid in itunes all the time by just changing the container to .mov.

I have encoded so many things in xvid (like home videos), and I sure wish they could be played on Apple TV. Oh well.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
So what format(s) will iTunes/AppleTV play?

.mov, .mp4 and what else?

I think that is it on the video front, and it can't just be .mov. It has to be H264 or MPEG4 in the .mov container.

traderx1

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2007
i have tried this

i have all my xvid/movies in my macpro itunes using the above mentioned .mov format/link

UNFORTUNATELY it does NOT work. I tried streaming to AppleTV. It does not even show up on the AppleTV movie section. Whereas a proper Itunes Movie will show up, as expected.

This is a bummer..hopefully someone will somehow find a way

nzvafds

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2007
You have to encode divx to mp4/h.264 first, then transfer to Apple TV. It seems that Apple TV doesn't recognize mov formats?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.