Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I am going to move and I noticed I have too many DVDs/CDs (Movie and Music respectively). For music CDs, I have already put them in the thick CD holder. I have not yet done for DVDs (I bought the holder already). Do you keep the DVD/CD cases with you after you organize them?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I just burn them onto my Mac, then lose them, well for what few CDs I buy(most are iTMS)..for DVDs, I always keep the case

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I have all of my DVDs in Case Logic leather binders. They work great. They protect the DVDs and they look really nice (easy to clean too)

brassplayersrok

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
Berklee College of Music
i as well keep the my dvds in a protective case. for a student they are a great space saver. when i go home on breaks i just bring the dvd boxes with me and put them on the shelf. for some reason a dvd without its box is kinda weird to me.

alex

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Thanks for the comments. So there are more keepers for CD / DVD caes.

But, if you have to re-located to an overseas location, would you pack them and ship them to your new place? Those CD cases could be heavy and the shipping cost can not be cheap.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I've had good success with DiscSox http://www.discsox.com. The DJ sleeves allow for all the stuff in the CD jewel box to be stored with the CD in MUCH less weight and space.

My CD collection now lives in a series of boxes ~2 cubic feet whereas before it was an entire bookshelf. (Of course the content is in iTunes, on my iPod, ...)

DVDs are still in their original cases.

B

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I keep all my CD/DVD's in their original cases on bookshelves. In the case of CD's I rip them to my computer then after I read the liner notes a few times the CD goes on the shelf for storage.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Yes I keep them all, I have a bunch of CDs stacked in this tall tower. That tower's growth has dwindled though since I buy most of my music on the iTMS now. As for DVDs, I keep them as well. My collecetion of DVDs is admittedly not very vast, so I don't have spacial problems.

I'd advise just throwing them all in a box, put them up in the attic or whatever and save them in case you decide to want them back.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I keep all my CD/DVD's in their original cases on bookshelves. In the case of CD's I rip them to my computer then after I read the liner notes a few times the CD goes on the shelf for storage.

Same.

I couldn't imagine putting my DVDs into a case. I had done that with my CDs and the book/case was stolen. All of the CDs there in one easy to carry case; not good.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Thanks for the comments. So there are more keepers for CD / DVD caes.
But, if you have to re-located to an overseas location, would you pack them and ship them to your new place? Those CD cases could be heavy and the shipping cost can not be cheap.

I shipped my CDs when I moved overseas. I wasn't in any hurry to get them (all of the music was ripped onto my server), so I sent them via sea mail and got them about a month later. (This was shipping from Australia to America.) In retrospect, I could've taken the box of CDs with me to the airport and checked it as excess luggage, since the fee for that isn't terribly bad (and not that much more than what I paid for sea mail), and I wouldn't've had to wait a month to receive them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.