Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSurge

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
From a friend I heard that the Macbook can get internet anywhere using a bluetooth access point.. He says he uses his cellphone.. Is this true.. Is there any other way the Macbook can get internet access anywhere!

Thanks for your help!:)

- Regards

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
The way it works is you connect to your bluetooth enabled cell phone and dial-up (yes, dial-up) to your ISP (dial-up service required) and use your cell phone as your phone line/modem. (takes minutes)

MacSurge

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Has anyone actually done this before.. lol.. whoever has please do share your experience with it, and if possible use as much description as possible!

Thanks

------Regards

FreakinSyco

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
Ive never attempted it with my macbook.. but with my Cingular 8125 cellphone I simply connect it via USB and I can then use the EDGE connection. Its high latency but decent thruput.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Did it with my treo 650 through cingular using the bluetooth connection. Its not fast as I dont' have a 3g connection, but would be fine for internet when you really need it. Probably comparable to dial up.

Just be warned about usage. Even if you have an unlimited data plan, cingular wants to charge you a "tethering" fee, for the added data you will use when hooked up to your computer.

I really don't use it, as I have an older medianet unlimited plan that is free data for only 20 per month and didn't want to draw attention to it by using alot of data.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Has anyone actually done this before.. lol.. whoever has please do share your experience with it, and if possible use as much description as possible!

Thanks

------Regards
just start bluetooth on phone and mac, pair them. at one point during the pairing the mac will ask you what you wanna use the phone for (ex: sync contacts, internet ..) choose what you need. start internet connect and there a bluetooth tab and you can enter you isp details there and try :D

jamiewiseman

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
using phone to connect to internet

There are a couple of ways to use your mobile phone to connect your computer to the internet. One is direct dial...ie you use your phone to dial a dial-up internet service provider. The other is using gprs (packet data).
To use the dial-up option you will need to have a data enabled contract with a provider who supports data. The phone (after being paired with your computer) will dial the same access number that you would use with an ordinary phone line. Problem with this method is that you will probably be charged by the minute, which can be quite expensive. The data transfer rate will probably be slow too, with a top whack of 28k. More likely it will be 9600.
Using packet data is usually quicker......download speeds on a 3g network is as high as 57k, uploads are usually slower. Standard GPRS is 28K. This time the cost is based on amount of data downloaded and uploaded, not on time connected. (In other words you are paying for the page...not the the time it takes to read the page.)

Both need compatable phone, network and appropriate contract with your mobile network. Here in Europe we have been using these things for over ten years. In the states they have been available, but not particularly popular.

Phutchi

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
bump

I've done this with my 8125 and cingular on my MBP. Just uses the EDGE network on the phone for internet service.

Been trying to connect my 8125 to my MBP and not having any luck. Are there drivers i need to get or could Anyone post a step by step.

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
Does anyone know how to do this with the Motorola RIZR Z3? is it even possible, i know it will be extremely slow though...

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
i use my macbook and my nokia N80 all the time to access the internet on the road..

my data plan includes unlimited web access, so i make the most of it :)

i did have to hunt around the web for the N80 modem scripts to use, but after that it's great!

only thing i'm not sure of is, i'm on 3G and i'm assuming when i browse via macbook from my mobile, i am also using the 3G connection as web browsing is pretty nippy - can anyone confirm this please?

werkedm3

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
I use my at&t 8525 and my 750 to access the internet pretty often. I know with those two there is a program (that I believe is going to be standard on WM6) called internet sharing, but at&t has put it on their WM5 devices as well. Basically you tether the phone and the computer (do it from the computer) it will tell you you have set up a personal area network with the phone (PAN). Then open the internet sharing program on the phone, select bluetooth pan, and hit connect. Then on the computer, go to the bluetooth drop down menu, choose "join network on [phone]" and you're good to go. If you don't have that program then you have to fill out the username, password, phone number etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.