Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
Is anyone else having this problem? Whenever I try connecting via EDGE, I get "Could not activate EDGE". Over WiFi is fine....

Anyone?

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Is anyone else having this problem? Whenever I try connecting via EDGE, I get "Could not activate EDGE". Over WiFi is fine....

Anyone?

Maybe there is no EDGE coverage in your area.
Have you tried a different location?

Ian

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Anyone?

This happened to me when I didn't have much of a signal. (1 or no bars)

arn

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
I'm in Los Angeles... went all over LA today, nothing. I doubt they would not have EDGE coverage here?

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
When did you activate your phone? I couldnt get on edge for about an hour and a half after activation.

Tried activating Friday 7:30 pm. Took until Saturday 4:00am to activate. Phone number transferred and everything.

Since then (now is almost 2am on Sunday here)... I haven't gotten on EDGE a single time. I just thought the network was overloaded. I called AT&T about it in the afternoon, and the rep said that EDGE was COMPLETELY DOWN EVERYWHERE and NO ONE could use it or setup voicemail.

I though, oh, it just exploded. But checking online, doesn't seem to be a popular problem. Or, doesn't seem to be a problem AT ALL for people.

MLWings19

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2006
Severn, MD
My wife is having the same problem. Wi-fi works great but when we leave the house it say could not activate edge. We stopped at an AT&T store and the phone was only the 2nd live iPhone they have seen and they had no idea what to do. Of course, we tried calling tech support only to find their offices were closed. Don't you think that on the biggest weekend ever for AT&T, they would have tech support 24-7?! I guess we will have to call tomorrow.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
having the exact sam problem in philadelphia. These locations listed are al major markets, I mean we are talking Los Angeles, Philadelphia, etc.

sullivat

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Darn it, seeing the same message when I try to use safari, youtube, weather, etc - "Could not Activate EDGE: You are not subscribed to EDGE". It was working fine for me on Friday & Saturday, but for the past two days - nothing.

Just got off the phone with AT&T, who passed me to Apple, who passed me to AT&T, who passed me to Apple, who said it was definitely AT&T. They told me the network is just so busy that it probably is overloaded right now. They honestly said to try it again later in the week!?!?!!?

Oh well, at least the other iPhone features are keeping me entertained - at least the phone, voicemail, sms, etc.. works fine...

One thing to add, the Apple person had me eject and reinsert the SIM card - she said this fixed this for a few other customers. Not me... :(

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
the same thing happened to me and the guys at my apple store said this could mean that its just just a temporary drop in service and doesn't mean that edge was lost completely.

Att store told me that it is just because they are still adding the means of supporting millions of iphone users and the huge stress from a peak in demand. They said if it is a service problem it should be resolved within weeks. But then again i dont like to believe att.

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
Darn it, seeing the same message when I try to use safari, youtube, weather, etc - "Could not Activate EDGE: You are not subscribed to EDGE". It was working fine for me on Friday & Saturday, but for the past two days - nothing.

Just got off the phone with AT&T, who passed me to Apple, who passed me to AT&T, who passed me to Apple, who said it was definitely AT&T. They told me the network is just so busy that it probably is overloaded right now. They honestly said to try it again later in the week!?!?!!?

Oh well, at least the other iPhone features are keeping me entertained - at least the phone, voicemail, sms, etc.. works fine...

One thing to add, the Apple person had me eject and reinsert the SIM card - she said this fixed this for a few other customers. Not me... :(

I had this issue. Called AT&T and they just said, oh, the whole network is down (which it wasn't).

A software restore did it for me. But you can also try a hard reset (hold home and sleep button down for a few seconds together).

XjeffX

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2004
I'm able to get on Edge now but for about an hour I could not get ANY data via edge. No servers could be connected to via safari and my email wouldn't download.

Seems to be working now although my service is MUCH worse than it was w/ Tmobile & a sidekick3 here at work. I hope it catches up today or else I'll have to return it :(

SafariX

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
EDGE down in Sacramento?

Anyone else able to get on Edge? Ive been browsing all weekend and this morning it just does not connect (email, maps, safari etc.).

RidleyGriff

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Same here in Los Angeles. Glad to know it's just not my phone. Seems to have gone down around 10am (was showing people some websites at work, and then when I went to send an email -- it went wonky).

Anybody have any more info?

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
Same in Tucson. I have full signal (and E icon), but no connection. Thankfully sounds like it's not my iPhone, it's likely to be fixed soon.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
Within WEEKS?! I have full signal and E symbol, but haven't been able to get on Edge all morning. Tucson, AZ. AT&T better get on this pronto.

RidleyGriff

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Strange -- if it was overloaded you'd think there would just be regional outtages. (I say this, of course, not really knowing what I'm talking about).

Any resident tech wizards out there know how their system is set up?

mattcleary

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
add Houston, TX to this list... Started with goofy email trouble, now I'm being rejected by safari on any webpage I try.

At least the phone still works ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.