Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
NEW YORK - In a gut-busting showdown that combined drama, daring and indigestion, Joey Chestnut emerged as the world's hot dog eating champion, knocking off six-time winner Takeru Kobayashi in a record-setting yet repulsive triumph.

Chestnut, the great red, white and blue hope in the annual Fourth of July competition, broke his own world record by inhaling 66 hot dogs in 12 minutes — a staggering one every 10.9 seconds before a screaming crowd in Coney Island....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070705/ap_en_ot/hot_dog_champ

And me, I only ate half a hotdog yesterday!

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
And his name is Chestnut. Awesome.

I had a burger too, and corn, and chips and salsa, which I think we've adopted as our own well enough. And watermelon.

I think my choice of white wine over beer was pretty unpatriotic, although the wine was australian and the beer german anyway.

I had two cans of coke though. USA! USA! USA!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
That volume of food would take up more space than I am capable of holding in my body.

It would be pretty gross after chunks of my skin start to burst from the pressure.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
And his name is Chestnut. Awesome.

I had a burger too, and corn, and chips and salsa, which I think we've adopted as our own well enough. And watermelon.

I think my choice of white wine over beer was pretty unpatriotic, although the wine was australian and the beer german anyway.

I had two cans of coke though. USA! USA! USA!

Glad we've finally done something right. USA ALL THE WAY! I am so jealous at all the good ole' BBQ 4th right now, for my 4th, I ate Thai food, again... (its great but I miss home)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I would normally throw up in my mouth a little, but right now I'm worried someone would try and eat it :p

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Koybiashi (spelling error, I know) and Chesnut are both in good shape. That's the only way that they're able to eat and keep down that much food.

I watched last years competition, it was kind of disgusting, I remember Chesnut was running out of room in his stomach and took his hand and pushed his stomach so he could fit more.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
AMERICA.. F*CK YEAH.

lol.. I only ate 2 hot dogs yesterday. Only 65 more and I could have won.

Bogie

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
And I STAND UP next to you and I eat hot dogs all daaaay...

Ain't no doubt I love this landdddd...

God bless the UuuuuuuSsssssssAaaaaaaaa!!! :D

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
I hate to nitpick, but USA is an abreviation of United States of America, three capitilized words. Therefore in your thread title it should be USA, not Usa.

On the other hand, I am 6'1", and weigh 275 lbs. I cannot imagine eating 66 hotdogs in a 24 hour period, let alone 10 minutes. :eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
As somehow who hasn't eaten a hot dog since... a decade ago? I now want a hotdog. Just the one.

No really my hunger just shot up!

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I watched the whole thing on ESPN... and ashamedly thought to myself - no wonder the world despises us! Got under-nourished children all over the globe and these guys put away enough food to feed a village. Only to go home and puke for a couple hours afterward. Truly sad, but hey at least the U.S.A. can hold the crown for another example of capitalism gone awry.:rolleyes:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I ate a hotdog once but it wasn't pleasant. I'd just put on my lippy so I refused to open my mouth. I ended up just stuffing it up my left nostril. I probably won't do that again in a hurry.

I hate to nitpick, but USA is an abreviation of United States of America, three capitilized words. Therefore in your thread title it should be USA, not Usa.

I reckon that's probably vBulletin converting it back to Sentence Case.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Truly sad, but hey at least the U.S.A. can hold the crown for another example of capitalism gone awry.:rolleyes:

Lets not forget that Kobyashi is Japanese, and not America. The japanese also have sushi eating contest and what not, so they shouldn't just despise Americans.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I watched the whole thing on ESPN... and ashamedly thought to myself - no wonder the world despises us! Got under-nourished children all over the globe and these guys put away enough food to feed a village. Only to go home and puke for a couple hours afterward. Truly sad, but hey at least the U.S.A. can hold the crown for another example of capitalism gone awry.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that hot dog eating contests are not the cause of world hunger.

It's essential to be concerned about those who are less fortunate than others, but if we can't have a little fun now and then, what's the point of it all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.