Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Blog entry claims that if you complain about EDGE service, AT&T will let you cancel the "required" $20 data plan on the iPhone.
Under this cheaper plan you still get 450 anytime minutes, 5000 night/weekend minutes, free mobile-to-mobile, rollover minutes, you can still use the internet features over WiFi and you don’t have to pay an extra $20 a month for the privilege of enduring worse than dial-up speeds over AT&T’s Edge service.
Your mileage may vary, but there had been rumors prior to the iPhone launch that the data plan could be canceled after the fact.

Article Link

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
All this hacking and cheating with the iPhone. Not that you shouldn't have more of a say over your plan, or that you shouldn't have custom ringtones or a phone that works without AT&T service plans, but it's pretty bad that you have to hack to get it. :(

hcopp

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
East Lansing, MI
"worse than dial up speeds"

how so? Every single time I have run a speed test, which is almost daily, i get around 150 kbps at the worst, I have gotten 280 at the highest, by my math, that is faster than dial up, unless I am completely mistaken.

I was at Logan airport yesterday browsing using EDGE and it was snappy as hell, full pages were loading in seconds, people need to stop complaining, edge is incredibly doable.

hey, another East Lansing citizen, cheers.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
My understanding was that this has always been availble? I thought you could just sign up for the data plan to get through the activation, and 5 minutes later call up AT&T and cancel the data plan.

Was that information incorrect?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I think the extra $20 a month is worth it.

If I was able to afford an expensive iPhone, I'd also gladly pay the $20 for the ability to use internet/e-mail ANYWHERE, and not just a wifi spot (so EDGE is slow... it's still very useful). Plus just visual voicemail alone would be worth it. I HATE cycling through a gazillion voicemail messages! Plus having at least 200 sms texts is handy -- otherwise I'd be paying so much per message, the savings would hardly be worth it.

I guess there are people out there who'd rather save the money. But if you spent so much to get the iPhone, why be cheap with the service? I understand some people splurged JUST for the phone itself, and want to save where they can. But now you have this really cool device... which is sort of crippled, in a way. Seems a shame...

bigdog

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Midcoast ME
SMS plans

It's probably been noted a million times already, but AT&T has an unlimited SMS package for Family Talk plans at $29.99/mo. This covers all lines in your account, and replaces all media plans EXCEPT the iPhone data plan. Any MMS and mobile web access are billed at the usual rates unless you pick up plans for those.

I spoke to a few account reps last week and none of them were aware of this package. They only found it when searching packages by price.

Considering I was already paying $19.99/mo for unlimited SMS on one line, this was an obvious upgrade. Saves me a bunch when the bill comes due. I think the other four lines on my account are responsible for about 0kb of mobile web and 2-4 MMS per average billing cycle, so YMMV.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
... and you don’t have to pay an extra $20 a month for the privilege of enduring worse than dial-up speeds over AT&T’s Edge service.

Eh, I call BS. If you think EDGE is slower than dialup, you either haven't used dialup in a while, or you are unlucky and EDGE is slow where you're using it.

Ya ya ya, rebut all you want, I use dialup now and then when traveling and feel like I have a good grasp for comparison. If you're gonna spend $5-600 on a internet device, $240 a year for 24/7 unlimited data access is a great deal.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

how so? Every single time I have run a speed test, which is almost daily, i get around 150 kbps at the worst, I have gotten 280 at the highest, by my math, that is faster than dial up, unless I am completely mistaken.

Like voice quality, data speed depends on where you live, and even exactly where you are standing.

People say "EDGE is slow" or "voice quality is poor" and forget to add: "where I am". People reading it forget that as well, and then we wonder what's up when other people come along with "EDGE is great" and "voice sounds great"! :)

A Pittarelli

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2007
people complain so much about everything, why buy a $600 and then try and cheap out on the most important part. Is edge on the iphone better than not having internet everywhere you go? for $20 a month?

faster, cheaper, more

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I have been more than satisfied with EDGE speeds in and around Baltimore. WAY faster than dialup, heck, faster than ISDN. And when I need faster mobile speeds? Well, I plug my EV-DO Express Card into my laptop. :)

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I kind of like having the edge available. It gets really handy when you're out and about and need to look at google maps or the weather channel. I think its worth spending the extra $20. Sometimes I actually find it to be quite fast. I think people are just too used to DSL or Cable. I find that even through wifi its not as fast as my MBP on wifi.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW, it varies wildly where I live. Anything over 100kbps is unusual. I'm not sure if it's because AT&T acquired their network from SunCom a year or two ago (instead of building it from the ground themselves), but it's pretty slow here.

blindzero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006

I agree. This "worse than dial up speeds" lie has propagated even after the speed tester has proved otherwise.

People forget just how slow dialup really was.

jwhittaker

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
RI
Edge Speeds

Hi,
I like gadgets, and speed on the Edge network is ok. I can send and recieve emails anytime, surf the web if I need to and even order something online. Its better than any other phone out there... my brother has a Motorola Q and the iphone kills its web surfing abilities.. and many more...

MY 2 cents..

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
people complain so much about everything, why buy a $600 and then try and cheap out on the most important part. Is edge on the iphone better than not having internet everywhere you go? for $20 a month?

faster, cheaper, more

I agree....if you can't afford the phone (which means service and phone), DO NOT BUY IT...it's like buying a ferrari and complaining about the gas costs...true costs come down to service not the actual car, same thing with this iPhone, if you can't afford the SERVICE, you can't afford the phone.

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
I agree....if you can't afford the phone (which means service and phone), DO NOT BUY IT...it's like buying a ferrari and complaining about the gas costs...true costs come down to service not the actual car, same thing with this iPhone, if you can't afford the SERVICE, you can't afford the phone.

Affording and paying for something that doesn't work are two different things. I tried loading my GF's blog in a major metropolitan area (plenty of cells around) and after a minute it hadn't even loaded the text. Painful.

$240 a year could go to something way more useful than a data plan that doesn't really work and I dont' really want. WiFi is fine for me. If I'm lost in the US I'm somewhere edge won't work, and if I want to find out about the weather I look west. I'd rather take $20 a month and upgrade my cable to get HBO or get netflix or something.

Just cause I'm not a sucker doesn't mean I'm a complainer. Every service in life should be ala carte. Companies continually railroad you into package crap you don't need. Bravo to those who fight the system.

smsm1

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2004
With Vodafone UK, you can get 15MB of data for £1 each day, whether you are on contract or pay as you go. That way if you don't use the internet at all in a day, or hardly use it at all, you don't even get charged the £1. Go over the 15MB you get charged £2/MB.

If you have a contract you can spend £7.50 to get 120MB data/month.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobileinternet

Nice and cheap if you don't use the mobile internet at all.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
EDGE is slow but very usable. I wouldn't buy an iphone without a data plan. I'd lose most of its usefulness, for my purposes.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
With Vodafone UK, you can get 15MB of data for £1 each day, whether you are on contract or pay as you go. That way if you don't use the internet at all in a day, or hardly use it at all, you don't even get charged the £1. Go over the 15MB you get charged £2/MB.

If you have a contract you can spend £7.50 to get 120MB data/month.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobileinternet

Nice and cheap if you don't use the mobile internet at all.

Bah! That's daylight robbery, the UK really needs to sort outs its data plans.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey

edge is incredibly doable.

I have to agree.. I've been doing the speed tests daily and Edge is a very pleasant surprise IN MY AREA (key phrase there).. I guess I'm just lucky, but I've had tests higher than 300 plenty of times and have never had one below 174.. I do feel for the people that are getting lousy Edge speeds though because having a "more than acceptable" internet connection anywhere I go is really nice..

Hopefully AT&T will make some major improvements to the network so it's like that in as many places as possible..

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
All this hacking and cheating with the iPhone. Not that you shouldn't have more of a say over your plan, or that you shouldn't have custom ringtones or a phone that works without AT&T service plans, but it's pretty bad that you have to hack to get it. :(
I so have to agree with you! I think its foolish to try to trick AT&T or get over on them just "because you can". If people are waiting for a touchscreen iPod, then the wait should be just about over. Certainly we all understand it's all just a matter of time before OS X-based iPods are available. There are many wondering just what it will include. Many think it'll be just a touchscreen iPod with the abilities of the current iPod. However, John Gruber is making me think it'll be "iPods that are everything but phones, with Wi-Fi networking for email, web, and more." If you haven't read this very insightful piece, you should click the link below. :)

small excerpt from John Gruber said:
The reason some people are skeptical about Apple introducing OS X-based iPods this year is that the question about cannibalizing sales works both ways: an iPhone-ish OS X-based iPod would surely have some detrimental effect on iPhone sales. AT&T might care about that, but why would Apple?

The simple truth is that the iPhone user experience doesn’t just blow away the experience of other companies’ cell phones – it blows away the experience of Apple’s own iPods. The biggest question, as I see it, is whether Apple plans to introduce iPods that are more or less just the iPod app from the iPhone (i.e. just music and video players), or iPods that are everything but phones, with Wi-Fi networking for email, web, and more.

Regarding OS X-Based iPods

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Like voice quality, data speed depends on where you live, and even exactly where you are standing.

People say "EDGE is slow" or "voice quality is poor" and forget to add: "where I am". People reading it forget that as well, and then we wonder what's up when other people come along with "EDGE is great" and "voice sounds great"! :)

Well, a 56k modem only actually achieves 5-10k speeds. Never sure why that was. Download a large file and check the transfer rates. Edge in my town (Atl) always gets over 200k.

I recently used a modem. Yeah, won't be doing that again. It WAS literally 20 times slower than edge.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Affording and paying for something that doesn't work are two different things. I tried loading my GF's blog in a major metropolitan area (plenty of cells around) and after a minute it hadn't even loaded the text. Painful.

$240 a year could go to something way more useful than a data plan that doesn't really work and I dont' really want. WiFi is fine for me. If I'm lost in the US I'm somewhere edge won't work, and if I want to find out about the weather I look west. I'd rather take $20 a month and upgrade my cable to get HBO or get netflix or something.

Just cause I'm not a sucker doesn't mean I'm a complainer. Every service in life should be ala carte. Companies continually railroad you into package crap you don't need. Bravo to those who fight the system.

Yeah, well the Cable companies are pretty much the worst example of the package crap you're describing. Glad you're perfectly happy with that idea.

And Netflix just slows down your movies when you order more than they like.

Damned if you do....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.