Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I just put on a brand new polo shirt and I realized that I really like the way new clothes smell before they're washed. Surely it must just be some nice detergent the clothing company uses. How do I get my hands on some of this stuff?

odagled

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
you get some sweat shop kids to pour out their blood and tears into a container.:)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I just put on a brand new polo shirt and I realized that I really like the way new clothes smell before they're washed. Surely it must just be some nice detergent the clothing company uses. How do I get my hands on some of this stuff?
It's chemical preservatives to keep the clothes from degrading between the time they leave the factory and the time you buy them. Formaldehyde is commonly used to keep clothes made from natural fibers from mildewing. While I wouldn't go as far as to say the chemical residue in the clothing is toxic, it could cause a rash or other form of skin irritation if you have sensitive skin.

Lethal

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
Nothing beats that new car smell IMO....or at least I have yet to smell something better than that. The new shirt smell is alright but doesn't come near that new car smell.

L

Lau

I always assumed it was more like a dry cleaning smell. Having said that, I don't think I've ever got anything I owned dry cleaned, so I wouldn't know. If it is, you could just get everything you own dry cleaned. :p

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Abercrombie sprays their clothes with their cologne. When ever I buy a new shirt there I feel like I have to wash it 2x or else my closet will stink for 2 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.