Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

havenhamilton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
i know its important to fully charge the battery before first use. how long did you guys charge it for?

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
How long did I personally charge it? None :eek::)

How long should you charge it? That I dont know.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I will prolly be told im wrong for saying this, but just let it run down. Use it, though i dont think this kind of battery can be trained, so whatever, its up to you dude.

havenhamilton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
i cant imagine anything harder than buying a new iphone/ipod and getting home, plugging it in and waiting

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
i cant imagine anything harder than buying a new iphone/ipod and getting home, plugging it in and waiting

I agree, thats like winning the lottery, but not being able to spend any of the money...or something like that...

havenhamilton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
I agree, thats like winning the lottery, but not being able to spend any of the money...or something like that...

i agree but if waiting 8 hours makes it so my battery will last longer i think its worth doing

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
i agree but if waiting 8 hours makes it so my battery will last longer i think its worth doing

Oh it wont be 8 hours. It probably comes 50% charged, and so i dont see it being more then an hour, an hour and a half at most.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I can't imagine the initial charge being more than an hour or two.

That being said, I've never charged the battery on any of the iPods I've owned until I ran the battery down all the way, and I've got nothing but exemplary battery life from them. Weird.

Edit:

Oh it wont be 8 hours. It probably comes 50% charged, and so i dont see it being more then an hour, an hour and a half at most.

Damn, beat me to the punch.

havenhamilton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
I can't imagine the initial charge being more than an hour or two.

well if the new ipod comes out tomorrow that will give me enough time to plug it in, run around screaming with joy for an hour or two and then come back use it :p

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
That being said, I've never charged the battery on any of the iPods I've owned until I ran the battery down all the way, and I've got nothing but exemplary battery life from them. Weird.

Don't ever let the battery run down all the way. Not good for the battery or the phone. But thats just in general.

havenhamilton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Don't ever let the battery run down all the way. Not good for the battery or the phone. But thats just in general.

really? ive heard the complete opposite. i thought with rechargeable batteries its better to let it run to nothing and then fully charge it

Parsec

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
In my understanding of the new batteries is that the first charge is not as important as it used to be, but can still make a difference. I usually charge the battery 8-12 hours the first time. However, most devices can be used during their charging time.

I believe it is generally for Lithium batteries better if they do not deplete to below 40%. However, on MacBooks and MacBook Pros (I believe all laptops) it is good for the battery and for the accuracy of your power meter to 'recalibrate' the battery once in a while.

On the Apple website you can find a page describing just how to do that (for laptops that is).

Later, Chris

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Do a search for "the proper way to charge you phone" and you will see the real answer about lith ion battery compared to nicad. Don't let the battery discharge all the way and chrage often! Iphone batteries dot not have a memory and it is worse for them to deep cycle charge. I would post my thread on this issue but i can not copy and paste from the phone... Again anyone saying to drain it knows nothing about the iPhone battery!

ChibChombo

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
Do a search for "the proper way to charge you phone" and you will see the real answer about lith ion battery compared to nicad. Don't let the battery discharge all the way and chrage often! Iphone batteries dot not have a memory and it is worse for them to deep cycle charge. I would post my thread on this issue but i can not copy and paste from the phone... Again anyone saying to drain it knows nothing about the iPhone battery!

Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

That's taken out from http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

So which one is correct? Charging it up to 100% then use it down to 0% at least once a month, or never? I'm also interested on knowing, just got my 3GS and I'm going to let it charge at least 8 hours and then let it go down to 10% at least.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
So which one is correct?

At a guess, the one from Apple rather than the one from some random guy on a forum. ;)

More seriously, they are in fact both right: running a lithium battery down until it's totally empty is bad for it. however, the power management system in the iPhone and Mac laptops won't let you run the battery down to the point of damaging it, it will shut the device down first. So, you can safely run the device down until it shuts off to calibrate the battery meter without damaging the battery.

ChibChombo

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
So it is safe for me to charge my phone up to full then let it sit and discharge down until it shuts off?

I don't know if it is "required" on the "first" charge, but I'm just used to doing this with all phones, so I figured it would be the same for this one. Is it required, or recommended, or "better" to do this? or It doesn't really make a difference if I charge it to full and let it drain?

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I don't think there's any evidence that it'll make a difference to your battery capacity, but it will make sure your battery meter is accurate. when I got mine I used it for a bit, charged it overnight, ran it down then charged it overnight again. Seems fine...

ChibChombo

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
Alright, I'll charge it full then let it sit there without a sim card and let it go all the way down until it shuts off, then I'll charge it to 100% again and use it normally.

Thanks for the help!

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Incorrect.

Running it down to empty and charging it to full is how you calibrate the battery meter.

I did that the other night, used it until it autoshutoff.

Let me tell you ........ the phone does weird things (even though its plugged in) until it gets back over 10% lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.