Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DZL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
hey all -

last nite, i tried to turn on my ipod shuffle 2nd generation and nothing happened - no light. i put it in the dock, and attached it to my mac pro - still no lite, and the mac pro wasn't recognizing it.

i just used it the previous day; and everything was fine --

i tried resetting...etc.

this was bought as a gift for me on last december.

any suggestions? should I bring it into an apple retail store?

Thanks,

DZL

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
...and what would be the outcome of that? would they try repairing it, or simply replace it?

Thanks again,

DZL

when similar thing happened to my refurb iPod nano, they just replaced it upon comfirmation.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
They will either zap the firmware inside of it to do a reformat that you can't do at home or replace it outright...or screw you over like everyone is seeming to say Apple is now doing...:p

Seriously, just take it in. Worst case scenario it is busted beyond repair.

Good luck.

DZL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
They will either zap the firmware inside of it to do a reformat that you can't do at home or replace it outright...or screw you over like everyone is seeming to say Apple is now doing...:p

Seriously, just take it in. Worst case scenario it is busted beyond repair.

Good luck.

yeah, i don't know what they could do with it - it's not showing any signs of life - it's not like the light is on and it's not playing; it's simply dead - no power, and the mac pro isn't recognizing it -- so i'm unable to do a firmware update, or reformat it or anything.

it's only been 7 months since i've had it; and i've treated it well -

i'd probably insist on a replacement.

DZL

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Similar to a common problem with early 1st generation shuffles (flashing green/orange light) They shouldn't have a problem zapping the firmware or replacing it. (Might even do it free of charge if you're lucky.)

MAcNIAC

Cancelled
Oct 27, 2006
if apple dont have a fix for you - KEEP YOUR SHUFFLE SOMEWHERE SAFE. I learnt the hard way - had the green and orange flashing light problem with my 1st gen shuffle, apple couldnt fix it - so I pulled it apart for the hell of it to see what was inside - 1 week later they release the firmware fix:eek::(

MAYBL8R

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
I had the same thing happen about two months ago, bought it last Christmas. They replaced it with a new one...

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
My first gen shuffle broke and I got a replacement straight away from the Apple Store as it was within its 1 year warranty.

DZL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
replaced

just got back from the store --

genius replaced the shuffle... no problem.

Thanks everyone,

DZL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.