Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shi2koi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I bought a DVI to HDMI cable and connected my MacBook Pro to my newly purchased Sony Bravia 32 inch HDTV (720p). The desktop background shows up nicely, but all icons and such are nowhere to be found. Any open windows, applications, and such show up on the MacBook Pro screen, but not on the TV.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Nothing wrong with it. By now you can move a window or something to the TV by leaving the notebook's display boarder at the right side with the cursor. There should be a monitor icon in the menu bar (if not open system preferences - display). Click on it and you will find all possible settings. It is possible to clone or span the desktop or move the menu bar or have the TV 90 degrees tilt (upright).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You're spanning. The TV is an extension of your desktop.

You can make it your primary display and move teh dock/etc... to it with the Display tool in System Preferences.

B

csivegas

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Could someone expand on the display for me. I hooked a friend’s Mac book Pro to a projector and the display was as described here, it was an extension of the desktop. We could drag items to the right of the desktop image and they would go up on the screen. So we went into the preferences and display. There were three tabs, Display, Arrangements, Color. We then went into arrangements and found the mirror image box and check marked it. So then what we were seeing on the desk top was what we were seeing on the projector. Then once we disconnected the VGA cable my friend said the desktop images were stretched a little. We went back to preferences to uncheck the mirror box and the arrangement tab disappeared. Could someone explain this to me? I’m not much of a Mac person.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Could someone expand on the display for me. I hooked a friend’s Mac book Pro to a projector and the display was as described here, it was an extension of the desktop. We could drag items to the right of the desktop image and they would go up on the screen. So we went into the preferences and display. There were three tabs, Display, Arrangements, Color. We then went into arrangements and found the mirror image box and check marked it. So then what we were seeing on the desk top was what we were seeing on the projector.

Everything is so as it should be. You did a cloning of the desktop.

Then once we disconnected the VGA cable my friend said the desktop images were stretched a little.

...at the notbook display. If you clone the desktop both displays change to the resolution of the weakest device. Here it is the projector I guess. The MPB's display doesn't really look good then. When you disconnect the cable the MBP should change it's resolution automatically to the best (original) one. If not you'll have to change it manually in the System Preferences - Display.

We went back to preferences to uncheck the mirror box and the arrangement tab disappeared. Could someone explain this to me? I’m not much of a Mac person.

The tab is only apparent when an external display is connected. There is nothing to arrange when there is no second device.

ST8D

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
No color or sound on TV

When I connect my Macbook Pro to my Sony Bravia TV, the image on the TV is only in black and white and the sound doesn't transfer from the computer. I am using the connection from the computer that splits into the Red/Yellow/white connectors for the TV. Any suggestions to get color and sound on the TV? Thanks.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
When I connect my Macbook Pro to my Sony Bravia TV, the image on the TV is only in black and white and the sound doesn't transfer from the computer. I am using the connection from the computer that splits into the Red/Yellow/white connectors for the TV. Any suggestions to get color and sound on the TV? Thanks.

Which cable are you using exactly? I don't know of any single cable from the computer that will split into red/yellow/white

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Which cable are you using exactly? I don't know of any single cable from the computer that will split into red/yellow/white

Sounds like Composite, but you're right. You need two cables to do that. One for the yellow and red and white from the headphone jack.

ST8D, are you perhaps outputting NTSC to a PAL TV or vice-versa?

B

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Sounds like Composite, but you're right. You need two cables to do that. One for the yellow and red and white from the headphone jack.

ST8D, are you perhaps outputting NTSC to a PAL TV or vice-versa?

B

in another thread someone is considering using this cable which is probably the type of thing the original poster is using

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
in another thread someone is considering using this cable which is probably the type of thing the original poster is using

ST8D certainly wasn't looking for that cable since he describes yellow red and white plugs.

Note that the DVI-> HDMI solution you linked to still won't carry video and audio on one cable.

B

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
ST8D certainly wasn't looking for that cable since he describes yellow red and white plugs.

Note that the DVI-> HDMI solution you linked to still won't carry video and audio on one cable.

B
Yikes, I have to read more carefully. I totally misread the question. And you are right, about the audio. Another person had picked that cable. Looks like a "monster cable" version would work for audio and video, no?

Still doesn't apply to the post I was trying to apply it to though... which only the poster could have answered anyway.

Everingham.Curt

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2007
will a DVI to composite video cable work for connecting a macbook pro to a TV? (my TV has YPbPr-type composite video input)

obes469

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Mini dvi to hdmi

hey can someone give me the link to a site where I can get Mini DVI to HDMI? I accidentally bought a Mini DVI to HDMI to a macbook...which is larger port then a macbook pro haha. I would love to buy another just would like a trusted site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.