Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Just got a black 160GB. (Apple Soho, NYC if anyone's curious). The copy of Tetris I bought for my 30GB video doesn't show up in the list of sync-able games for the Classic. Hopefully this will be addressed in some way. Hopefully it's not a planned byproduct of Apple's seemingly increasing appetite for cash money.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
It's got nothing to do with greed. The new iPod classic, while appearing to be almost the same device on the outside, is actually made of totally different hardware using a totally different operating system. So it's like trying to use a PowerPC Mac OS 9 program on an Intel chip running OS X - it's not possible without a software emulator of the old hardware. And that isn't technologically feasible, and the need for it is very slight. Your best hope is that when tetris gets rewritten for the new iPods that they let owners of the previous generation DL it for free.

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Just got a black 160GB. (Apple Soho, NYC if anyone's curious). The copy of Tetris I bought for my 30GB video doesn't show up in the list of sync-able games for the Classic. Hopefully this will be addressed in some way. Hopefully it's not a planned byproduct of Apple's seemingly increasing appetite for cash money.

I know Jobs said that 3 games came on the new Nano, but do any come on the Classic? Mine is shipping its way over here right now and was just curious...thanks!

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I'm thinking the lack of games working from previous generations on the new Classic would be a kick in the pants. I'm thinking that might be akin to not allowing the music or videos bought on iTunes previously to be playable on new iPod. If it's bought from iTunes, it should be playable on newer devices...or I would think.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
The new iPod classic, while appearing to be almost the same device on the outside, is actually made of totally different hardware using a totally different operating system.

Got any proof of this? I haven't seen anything to indicate the new iPods are using different hardware yet (except the iPod touch, obviously). My guess is they're using a revised version of the Samsung System-On-Chip that was in the Second Gen iPod nano.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.