Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I'm not sure if this should go here, but, most I've seen DOSBox for is gaming, and, well, yeah....

I was wondering if there's any way to make the interface more, umm, elegant. I remember a long time ago, back in the days of DOS, I had something installed on my computer called AutoMenu. I can't seem to find any mention of this.

Can I use Windows 3.11 in DOSBox? I really don't see why not, but I'd like some other people's advice before searching it out. I don't even remember if you can launch DOS programs within Windows.

Another question (sorry, I'm waiting on someone from ebay to send me a code for AppleCare and I'm too anxious to do anything else...warranty's up on Sunday), how do I change the preferences so that it automatically mounts the folder I'm using. I read something online on how to do it. It was something about telling it to create an config file and editing that. When I do that, it changes it to a Word file (not sure if it changes the file, but that's what it opens in) and it doesn't do anything. It mentioned putting it into the DOSBox folder in the library, but it's not there. I created one, and it still didn't do anything.

aikeru

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
I've been using DOSBox for a long time. :)

1. Can install Win3.1? Yes. You can install Win3.1, 3.11, should even be able to install Windows NT but I've confirmed Windows 9x doesn't work with even the latest DOSBox 7.x.

2. Interface? Sure - whether that means installing Windows and using that as your "interface" or you get semi-creative with a batch script. Bear in mind, DOSBox's "DOS" doesn't support all the *commands* "regular DOS" does (but programs, sure).

3. Automatically mount - Well in a Windows environment (I'm not a mac user :) you edit dosbox.conf and add lines at the bottom like you would an AUTOEXEC.BAT (which is the first thing DOS will do when it "boots up").
So add mount commands at the end of your .conf. This file is already "created" for us Windows people. :s

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
How can I install Windows 3.1? Is there a CD that I can buy anywhere? I wasn't even able to find the floppy version. With that, I can at least transfer them to CD while I still have my PC.

As far as the dosbox.conf file goes, I don't think it's made with Macs. I did a search, and the only ones it could find were in the trash, when I was experimenting with them. Maybe I need to keep it in a folder or something.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Mac DOSbox comes with a Preferences file (that you have to install manually), exactly like the Windows dosbox.conf file. Use that to configure all your settings including automount stuff.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Mac DOSbox comes with a Preferences file (that you have to install manually), exactly like the Windows dosbox.conf file. Use that to configure all your settings including automount stuff.

I tried that, and it made the file on the desktop. It also didn't do anything when I adjusted it. Maybe I did it wrong.... any help? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.