Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cody1428

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Dallas, Texas
ok i am pretty new at the mac-ness so i might just be dumb about everything....anyways i have a macBook thats just about 3 weeks old and something happened whenever i click the mail app it will load up like it wants to work but then no messages will show and when the curser is over the window there is a spinning ball, then i am have to force quit to close it...i tried running the 2 grey install disks (Mac OS X) thinking that might fix it but no...it didnt....can anybody help me?

ps....my iphoto wont load either it just bounces once and nothing will happen, tried running iLife '08 a few times but nothing....mail app is more important but i wish to fix both

-cody

cody1428

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Dallas, Texas
no all my other apps work....just the mail app will stop responding and the iphoto just refuses to do anything except it will bounce one time....honestly i havent really dont anything....i havent even really downloaded any other apps other than microsoft word and azureus.

i tried to go to the genius bar at the apple store he explained to me, after he pointed out that the warranty doesnt cover software after 14 days, that all i would need to do is run the mac os x install disc 1 & 2 and then iLife '08....but it didnt work....

its as if i am missing components to these 2 apps or something

cody1428

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Dallas, Texas
omg i figured it out....the mail was mailfunctioning when it tried to connect to the server....i had to totally disconnect from the internet turning off the airport ect., then i launched the mail....after i saw that it wasnt frozen i turned on my airport and whoo-la it worked.....

now i just need help with my iphoto

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I was having the exact same problem. Mail would constantly beachball unless airport was off

It turned out that it had nothing to do with OSX and EVERYTHING to do with Parallels.

If you are running parallels, write back and I'll tell you how to solve this issue.

sepu

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
hey I'm starting having this problem just 2 days ago ... and I've been using MAIL for awhile now I have 3 accounts set up I really dont want to lose any of the emails that I have ..... I have Parallels but even if I turn it off still doesnt work ... also if I turn Airport Off doestn work ? does any one can help me out please.

Thanks

I solved the problem ... I just repair permission on my HD and now is back to normal ... thx anyway

inHISstrength

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
I was having the exact same problem. Mail would constantly beachball unless airport was off

It turned out that it had nothing to do with OSX and EVERYTHING to do with Parallels.

If you are running parallels, write back and I'll tell you how to solve this issue.

Ok if I am running a parallel program, how can I solve this problem?

heinet

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2008
hey I'm starting having this problem just 2 days ago ... and I've been using MAIL for awhile now I have 3 accounts set up I really dont want to lose any of the emails that I have ..... I have Parallels but even if I turn it off still doesnt work ... also if I turn Airport Off doestn work ? does any one can help me out please.

Thanks

I solved the problem ... I just repair permission on my HD and now is back to normal ... thx anyway

How exactly did you "repair permission on your HD"?

dbernie41

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Ohio
I don't have parallels and my mail won't load at all. It will pop up and display the top email but instantly freeze and have to be force quit. Idk if there is something in the top email that is causing it to freeze or what. EVERY SINGLE time it freezes. I have rebooted and I don't really know what to do.

webstuff.pearce

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Help!

i've been searching all over for an answer. I have similar problems. I launch mail, it immediately gives me the spinning brainow all of death and i can hear the computer sound like its trying to do something. I have tried launching with internet on and off and same thing. Eventually a message will load and if click on it or any other button or something it gives me the spinning ball of death again for like another 5 mins. The program runs fine when i created a new user on my computer to test it with so its got to be something to do with a user preference on my computer? Im trying to use a pop gmail accont in mail. Any help woul be great.

thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is an old thread about an old problem on an old version of OS X, which probably has little or no bearing on your problem, but....

The most common cause of this is that you installed some kind of Mail plugin or extension tool that isn't compatible with your version of Mail. These plugins are usually located in a folder inside the ~/Library/Mail/Bundles -- that is, inside the Library folder in your home directory.

This knowledge base note is itself from an old version of OS X (Leopard) but it discusses this. Don't run the updater listed, though, unless you're on Leopard.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2486

gmia

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
Delete the contents of both of your Mail folders in Finder

I deleted everything after going through several restarts and reboots and seemed that mail was the problem all along. I also disabled airport and turned it back on after launching mail and that helped to. Thanks for all the posts, it really came in handy.:)

rolozamora

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
I deleted everything after going through several restarts and reboots and seemed that mail was the problem all along. I also disabled airport and turned it back on after launching mail and that helped to. Thanks for all the posts, it really came in handy.:)

Hi All, Here I am, reading all these posts, some of them years old and cannot manage to get my Mail app to work at all. I've already tried deleting the com.apple.mail.plist, turning AirPort Off, restarting and nothing. This is really annoying, if somebody managed to get through this could you explain what steps you took? This is only happening with the Mail application.

My system is:

IMac OS X 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Thanks,

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You could download Pacifist, and extract Mail from your installation disc. Get some advice from someone who's done that first. Like, what will that affect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.