Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked and answered.

I just bought a 15 gb 3G iPod. If I put the Cube to sleep while the iPod is connected, on wake up I get the dreaded "Do Not Disconnect" flashing message on the iPod. The iPod is now not recognized in iTunes. If I quit iTunes and restart it, usually the iPod will be recognized and all is well again. This is the only solution I have found except for taking the iPod out of the dock before sleeping the Mac. Neither should be necessary, I don't think.

iTunes 4.0
iPod software 2.0.1
OS 10.2.6

stoid

macrumors 601
Having minimal experience operating my new 3G 10GB iPod (long enough to load my mp3 collection on to it before leaving for a college where I am surronded by PCs. I found that after unplugging the iPod, iTunes needed to be restarted before it would recognize the iPod on reconnect. I think it might have something to do with the iPod's hard disk feature. I enabled the iPod as an external hard drive and that fixed my problem. So either enable iPod FireWire disk (or disable it depending on what your current settings are) and see if that fixes the problem. My guess is that this is firmware related and Apple may address this issue in the next firmware update. Along that line though, you said you have iPod v 2.0.1, and I think that the latest from Apple is 2.0.2, so try updating the firmware. Good luck IJ, hope this helps.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
2.0.2?
i know i a yup to date and have 2.0.1

anyway, sometimes that happens to me.
what i do is i disconnect by accident or something and its stuck on the do not disconnect. just restart the iPod by holding down the menu and the play buttons. sometimes your settings on the iPod might be reset, but every file is still there.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I guess I'm just going to have to unplug the iPod from the Mac before putting it to sleep. This is only a minor inconvenience since the iPod won't charge from a sleeping Cube anyway, but I'm pretty sure this should not be a necessary step. I suppose quitting iTunes instead might also work or maybe setting the iPod to Firewire disk mode. Everything is up to date btw -- 2.0.1 is the current iPod software.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
I guess I'm just going to have to unplug the iPod from the Mac before putting it to sleep. This is only a minor inconvenience since the iPod won't charge from a sleeping Cube anyway, but I'm pretty sure this should not be a necessary step. I suppose quitting iTunes instead might also work or maybe setting the iPod to Firewire disk mode. Everything is up to date btw -- 2.0.1 is the current iPod software.

There's only one thing I have to say:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html

:D

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
I used to have that problem a lot.

Since I've turned off all the 'auto' things, I get a long a bit better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.