Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Florida
hello. I'd like to record some guitar tracks into this free trial version of Deck 3.5Le. I heard about the "imic" and wondered if that would be a good source to input my sounds. If anyone has any suggestions on how to set up a little studio, i'd be happy to hear them. I don't want to get too crazy, keeping it simple, on the cheaper side but I'd still like to get some good, decent recording.
I'm looking for advice on studio/multitrack software and usb audio line input devices and any other helpful info.
My mac is this:
ibook 600
640MB
20G HD
OS 10.1.5(soon to be Jaguar in one week)
ps-i'm not really messin w/ the MIDI, just electric guitar, and acoustic/electric guitar and some bass guitar, maybe a drum machine (if my buddy lets me borrow it).thanks.
mr.sidio

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i would NOT reccomend the imic.

look for something with at least a 1/4 input. imic has 1/8.

will you be using a microphone or going direct with like a line6 pod?

how much are you looking to spend TOTAL on this stuff

like less than 200 less than 500?

sidio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Florida
thanks!

thanks for all the info everyone. i've checked out the links and
i've made a decision as to what i'm getting.
i think i'll be going with the:
(1) EDIROL UA-1A for the usb interface and (2)Deck 3.5Le for the software.
Both seem reasonable as a starting point.

I did notice that the EDIROL is RCA input, meaning that i'll need an adapter
for my guitar chord, right?
Also, will I need to run it through an Amp or can it work w/o an Amp, direct from my guitar to the EDIROL?

i don't want my ibook to blow up.

one more thing, is the recording done in 'real time' or is there some delay?
thanks u guys. i'm new to this, but it's gonna be so much fun once it's hooked up!:p :D

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: thanks!

Originally posted by sidio

I did notice that the EDIROL is RCA input, meaning that i'll need an adapter
for my guitar chord, right?

RCA ins, eh? yeah, they're probably line level and should match your guitar level. ideally, you'd want to play through a mic'ed amp and record the mic, but then you'd need some kind of mic preamp, like the kind built-in to mixing boards.

one more thing, is the recording done in 'real time' or is there some delay?

i assume you mean latency, which could pop up when you're listening to what you're actively recording after the signal's passed through the computer.

yes, there would likely be latency. you'll have to judge how bad it is. everything's being recorded correctly, but it's hard to track additional instruments. the way to get around it is to monitor your live playing through something other than the ibook. with, for example, a mixing board.

i like mackie's for good, inexpensive gear. Here is a decent $400 mixer.

i'd avoid the behringers, btw.

sidio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Florida
comments on Griffen Powerwave?

Zim,

i noticed the Griffen Powerwave, found out about it from osxaudio.com.
it seems pretty good, zero-latency feature as well.
have you heard anything about this product?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerwave/index.html

also, are mic'd amps and preamps the same?
i think there's an amp on the powerwave, i'm not sure about these things.
:cool: many thanx.
sidio

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: comments on Griffen Powerwave?

Originally posted by sidio
Zim,
i noticed the Griffen Powerwave [...] zero-latency feature as well.
have you heard anything about this product?

haven't heard anything, but it's got some nice features for $100.

also, are mic'd amps and preamps the same?

there are generally two audio levels: mic and line. mic level is lower, -10 db. line level (at which stereo equipment, recording equipment, etc. operates) is at +4 db.

when you plug in a mic (like if you were to mic your guitar amp), you need a pre-amplifier (preamp) to increase the signal to line level. preamps can be housed in mixing boards or can be external units. w/ this griffin piece, since it can take a mic input (you saw the switch), then there must be some kind of preamp inside.

this unit appears to have the functionality you need. any further comments i make would speak to sound quality -- quality of the preamp, quality of the a/d converter, etc.

for messing around and getting started, i think you found your purchase. once you decide you need better quality, then you'll have to spend some more serious $$.

hope this helps.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
You need Amplitube Live

This was demo'ed by an Apple engineer, a good guitar player. All he had was a guitar that was pluged right into his 12" powerbook, running Amplitube Live. The amp/mic/pickup modeling is fantastic!

sidio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Florida
yamaha mixer in the mix

sup guys.
i just got a mixer, Yamaha MT120 4 track, not sure if it has a preamp built-in.
I think it may help out with my little studio setup.

so basically, i guess it just comes down to the USB interface device and software.

I'm leaning toward Deck 3.5 LE though, as it's a bit cheaper.
i'm gonna use the free trial first.

I've got about $250 to blow on the usb and software.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....
thanx for all.
:cool:

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Originally posted by zimv20
i've heard good things about the product, but i'm still partial to mic'ing an actual cabinet and recording that.
Your neighbours might disagree ;)

Actually, some of the presets actually make little cracks and noises when you're not playing notes or when the guitar is unplugged. I talked to a audio engineer who has tried it and he said it was really good. Brian May is actually using it exclusively on some tracks, and he is quite a purist when it's about amps.
There is a demoversion, but I haven't found the time testing it yet.
I must say I'm still a little bit sceptical too, I need to try it myself to be sure. I don't think it will be as good as the real thing, but it does offer advantages.

drewprovan@mac.

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2006
Amplitube Live setup

This is an old topic now, I realise, but I am totally confused about setting up Amplitube Live. I just bought this as an impulse buy. I usually play through GarageBand with a G5 (10.4.7) and an M-Audio FastTrack (but often directly into the Mac). Amplitube Live produces no sound for me either plugging directly into the Mac or using FastTrack. I only get yellow light (?insufficient input level). The people who make Amplitube Live tell me I cannot plug the guitar directly into the Mac (though someone on this list mentions an Apple guy who did just that). So my questions are: does anyone on the list use AL with Mac? How did you configure it? Do I need some extra sound card?

Cheers!

Drew

john82

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
i really wouldn't recommend the imic.
basically you should get a decent dynamic mic in the likes of shure sm59.
also its very important you you get a good audio card, i recommend m-audio's audiophile. anyway your'e going to have to put in a few bucks to get this home studio if you want to get decent recordings.

_______
Johnny
http://www.guitars101.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.