Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncsuemme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Okay, so I'm sort of new to Macs.... Well, I grew up with them, but went to PCs for a while. I bought an old iBook this summer, but it's a bit slower than I wanted. I mainly purchased this because I wanted a simple, small laptop for basic things. But, I'm wondering now if I should try to upgrade the RAM. I don't know if it's too old to even be able to buy RAM for it, and how much I could add. Or how complicated it would be.

This is most of the info from the System Profiler. If anyone could clue me in on any of my questions, I'd be very happy!

Machine Name: iBook
Machine Model: PowerBook4,1
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (22.15)
CPU Speed: 500 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 384 MB
Bus Speed: 67 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.2.0f4
Sales Order Number: M7692LL/A

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm typing on that exact same machine right now, with the same amount of RAM. You definitely can upgrade the RAM on it by replacing the user-accessible 256 MB chip with a 512 MB chip to bring you up to 640 MB. That'll definitely help.

Unfortnately, that type of RAM is a bit pricey these days, so you'd probably be looking at close to $100 to pick one up. Check DMS or OWC...they both have wizards that allow you to put in the model of your machine and they'll show you the proper RAM options for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.