Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
I have a powerbook g4 15", and its the lower resolution model. I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the current display in the computer to the one that was introduced later that year that was brighter and 960x1440

SirPsychoS

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
Yeah, but...

sorry to resurrect a fairly dead thread, but I've received an offer to buy a Powerbook G4 for $200, but it's 1280x854, which would be a step down from what I'm used to.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100, and I've replaced the screen on that--I bought the panel, the cable, and the inverter all separately, so you can tell I'm not afraid of things that aren't easy. (i've also replaced its mobo, hdd). Anyone know if it's at all possible, disregarding any level of difficult surgery?

the biggest issue i can think of is whether the different VRAM between the models preinstalled with the two screens could indicate a different physical connection to the monitor and whether the lower VRAM model can handle the bigger res. Then again, my mobility radeon 7500c 32MB can handle 1400x1050, so there's no reason for that to be unable to drive 1440x960. They're both mobility radeon 9700's so it seems unlikely that the connection would be a problem either.

thanks for listening to my rant, any corrections, advice, or confirmations would be greatly appreciated

SirPsychoS

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
oh okay

Sorry, I didn't see the link in the previous post. Still, i'd be glad to hear of someone who's done a 1440x960 mod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.