Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danyell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
I just set up a new secure wireless network at my new apartment. But even though I saved the password onto my computer, I still have to manually select my network every time I try to log on. And even then Airport sometimes says it "cannot locate any of your trusted networks" and suggests another local connection, or says there is an error connecting.

Is there anyway to choose my network as my primary so it will always try to connect when I log on? My brother had set up our connection when I lived at home and it always automatically connected with no problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Are you using Leopard? If so sounds like the bug many of us are having which usually sorts itself out if you turn airport on and off a couple of times.

Anyway to do what you asked in Leopard

System Preferences - Network - Airport - Advanced - +

Can't fully remember how in Tiger but should be along the same lines.

Edit:

Apple in the top left -> Location , make the network you're on Automatic :)

Doesn't location only appear if you have setup multiple locations. For example i don't have that menu s i only have one setup being a desktop.

Edit 2: Case in point, First shot with only one location, the second with multiple locations

Picture 1.png Picture 2.png

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Doesn't location only appear if you have setup multiple locations. For example i don't have that menu s i only have one setup being a desktop.

In Tiger I always have the Location menu, but with just the "Automatic" item in it, including on my desktop iMac, which has only one location / one network. I'm not clear that this will actually help much though. I really never used this feature, even on my notebook which was set to only connect to one of about five networks I authorized (i.e. one here, two at the University, one at another one of our hospitals, and one at Camp -- always on "Automatic" location). Sometimes, though, deleting the existing location and making a new one solves cryptic problems.

picture_2-20071104-110451.jpg

In Tiger, you go to Sys Prefs -> Network -> Airport, and make sure that it's set up to join preferred networks by default (pulldown at the top). Then, you can click Options and define behavior when no preferred network is available (by default, it prompts you; my Macs are set to keep searching for preferred networks and not to join other networks unless I initiate it) and also whether or not newly joined networks automatically become preferred. This should already have been set up so that they do, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.