Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
I was charging my iPhone while I was on a call and it got really, really hot, to the point where I couldn't even touch it to my ear.... I unplugged it and now it won't turn on. It won't reboot (home+power). I'm at a loss.

The firmware is an unhacked 1.1.1.

Bring it to Cingular or Apple?

BigDaddy5

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2006
I had this problem too. I was able to turn it back on eventually, though. I had to turn it off, using the home+power, and then I was able to turn it back on. Or maybe I had to hold hte power button for a long time. Either way, I was able to turn it back on eventually, but it took a while.

Try to restore it, if you can, in iTunes.

If not, you have to take it to apple. AT&T wont do anything.

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
I had the same problem. An Apple Genius replaced it free of charge. Took 3 minutes.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
I had the same problem. An Apple Genius replaced it free of charge. Took 3 minutes.

yup had the same experience as maui really simple my was actually surged lol i plugged it in the ipod charger since i really desperatly need to charge the phone and my dad turns on the car and boom. I was scared to even use it in the first place but my dad convinced me stupid me but i have a new one :D

aponteluis

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
Another Hot iPhone Died!

I was using my iPhone as usual. Suddenly it started to get hot and drain the battery. I tried to restore it with iTunes, but it stalled at the "Preparing for restore" prompt. I tried it several times and the battery kept discharging. Then all I got was the iTunes and the connector icons on the screen of the iPhone. I left it trying to restore overnight. The next morning it was still in the same state. Trying to restore. I unplugged it from the computer and it finally died. I never turned on again. Not even connected to the charger. Called Apple and they mailed a box to return it for warranty service.

The phone was un-hacked, never dropped, and always in a protective case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.