Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joel Beason

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Uconn
I searched around but I don't think I have found an answer to what is happening to me.

I did boot-camp assist, and partioned the Harddrive. Then It goes into the blue formatting screen thingy in the windows set-up. That finish's then the computer restarts and says "disk error" press any key to restart. I do that and the same thing keeps happening over. I selected the BOOTCAMP part of the c drive in the windows setup and I have no idea why it is not working. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Joel Beason

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Uconn
I'm not sure, I just get to the part where the computer restarts after the blue partioning screen finishes, and where the windows would start to install. Anyone have any ideas

macman78

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
Can't boot back to OSX partition

Hi everyone,

I have a situation most like the one in this forum except I can't even get back to my OSX side to delete the funky FAT32 formatted partition that Boot Camp "suggests" is the right kind. I've always formatted NTFS and never had any trouble in the past. I took Boot Camp's word for it this time that there must be something right about FAT32 and went with that formatting. Yes, upon restarting I get the good old "disk error - press any key to restart" (yes, no key works for restart). I shut the computer down, turn it back on holding down the option key to boot back over to OSX (like I've done many times in the past) but it bypasses that whole process and takes me straight back to the "disk error - press any key" screen. Crazy. This is a first for me, any ideas?

I've also tried holding down C with my Leopard disc and an Apple Hardware Test disc. I was struggling on how to get the Windows disc out so that I could put one of the discs above in but I found the "hold the mouse button down" on restart and the media ejected.

smirkingboy

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
help - cannot boot from windows drive

mac pro jan 2008 8-core 3.0

i've repartitioned and reformatted at least ten times now. i just keep getting the disk error message. i've slow formatted to NTFS, waited while windows disc installs, then rebooted from new windows startup disc, and i get the $%^#$@# disk error message. every time. :eek:

its a drive all its own. in bay 2. its not a partition of the mac hard drive. this should work.

i'm thinking it has to be a hardware problem at this point, right? if anyone has any ideas on how i can get this to work, i would appreciate it soooo much !!!!

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Same problem here on my Macbook Pro. I have repartitioned the drive multiple times and done the long format with the Windows Installer... no luck.

This is a really irritating problem. My friend with a 2.8ghz iMac just installed Windows (same copy as mine, academic version so its okay) and it worked fine. I have no idea whats going on.

As a note, this only happened after I installed 10.5.2. I reformatted a few days later, and then Windows wouldn't install. I wonder if it updated the EFI in such a way that Windows is having some issue with it?

weebeast

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
THE Apple KB article doesn't say format in NTFS...

which will NOT allow you to read/write with your OS X boot. It says - clearly - don't pick LEAVE FILESYSTEM INTACT (which essentially means - let WINDOWS do the formatting!). SO you can, and I just DID on a Mini, after having the same issues as we're discussing, FORMAT IN FAT32 (Quick) No kidding.

What this seems to mean is that the Boot Camp app is not doing something right, in the file tables or something, which causes a Windows installation on boot camp's formatted partition.

Thanks to ALL who posted the fix. Love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.