Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hudsonhawke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
I'm having problems with Safari "unexpectedly quitting". I don't call them unexpected quits anymore because I've come to expect them. I like Safari alot so I want to work this out but they're making it hard for me.

Trends I've notices before quits:

Page gets stuck loading. Status bar will read something like "9 of 10 items complete" and it will stay that way.

Often the problem occurs only on the home page of a site while within the site, if I've entered by going around the home, its fine.

I have this problem sometimes at:
espn.com
nytimes.com

I have this problem always at:
nypost.com (home page)
observer.com

Is there anything I need to reset? Or that I should be looking for? Or is it just one of those things I have to live with until the next update?
Any advice is hugely welcomed. Thanks.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I can give you the quick answer of "Repair Permissions".

It your utlities folder of your Application folder there should be a disk utility. Repair the permissions to that drive and see if that helps... otherwise... dunno... maybe delete/reinstall Safari?

hudsonhawke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
Thanks Panda.
I tried the permissions but that didn't work. I'm goint to try reinstalling safari. We'll see.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
have you installed 10.2.8? since i did (mistake of course) i have had safari unexpectedly quit MANY times. not sure, but seeing as it never did it b4, im going with it is yet another thing Apple broke with 10.2.8 :rolleyes:

hudsonhawke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
Great. now I've made an even bigger mess. I trashed everything from Safari that they would let me and downloaded a new copy. Now the only sites that will load are apple.com sites. Everything else displays the page title on the top of the window but the window stays blank and the status bar says "0 of 1 items loaded"

Now what?

hudsonhawke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
Oh, Rower, when I went to my library to look for that file it wasn't there.

Thanks for the help everybody.

hudsonhawke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
How can I just start fresh with Safari? Do I have to go back to my disk? Or is there something I can dump?

I just want another chance!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
OK, here's how to fix the not loading pages issue:

Remove all copies of the "Times RO" font. It might be in /Users/username/Library/Fonts/ or /Library/Fonts/

Delete any copies you find and you'll be all set. :)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I came across it in Apple's discussion forums when trying to find why the HP drivers for a printer I'm testing broke Safari. The HP tech support people pointed it out to me.

So if you've recently installed an app or some drivers and Safari won't finish loading some pages, check for that pesky Times RO. :)

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Hudson,

I know you've fixed this but I had a similar problem (pressing cursor keys, or command keys would crash Safari) and eventually fixed it by simply "Resetting Safari..." from the Safari menu.

sbabaya

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Safari quitting

Rower:
I am quite impressed. Dumping TIMES RO font did the trick...and it was so easy! I love SAFARI but was getting increasingly frustrated that I had to relaunch it dozens of times a day. Fortunately my MacBook is lightning fast and it was more of a nuisance. But now I don't need to do this.

Thanks so much.

Useless child

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Now my internet is quitting on me

I have had macs for around 6 years now, so im fairly familiar with the technology. but it seems that whenever i try and change pages on facebook, my internet closes.
a little box pops up and says its sending this to the apple store or somrething along those lines. i just want to see if anyone has any good ideas before i have to take my mac to the apple store?
hoping someone will reply because this thread has been around for ages

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
whenever i try and change pages on facebook, my internet closes.

Do you mean Safari crashes?

a little box pops up and says its sending this to the apple store or somrething along those lines.

That little box sounds like a Crash Report. If you could copy and post that report (especially the Binary Images section) you might get some help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.