Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
Back in 2000 the Power Macintosh G4 Cube was a great piece of hardware, but for whatever reason (price) it didn't survive much more than a year due to consumer demand. A lot has changed since then with the Intel transition, switchers coming on board, Mac OS X long reaching maturity etc.

Is it time to bring back a Cube like computer? Just like the one from 2000, I can envisage a machine with a dedicated (expandable) graphics card, maybe two models with a Core 2 Duo and a Core 2 Extreme and probably WITHOUT bays and bays of 5.25" or even 3.5" drive bays.

The Macintosh product line is pretty busy at the moment with five different models, but a baby Mac Pro / headless iMac might appeal to a wider consumer base now that Apple has re-established itself with successes the iPod, Mac OS X and now the Intel transition.

What do you think? Is it time to bring back the Cube?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Too many cords... speaker cords, keyboard cords, cords, cords, cords.... and a huge power brick.

They tried to limit the number of cords in the worst possible way -- by making a nonstandard video connection, making it extremely difficult to upgrade the monitor.

If you got rid of some the cords, then maybe. A cube-sized computer without a separate power brick, with a full-sized desktop-style HD, with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then you'd have a relatively elegant solution.

But I'm stumped about how to handle the speakers. You could integrate with the monitor, but you'd still have the nonstandard video connection problem.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Um they have. It's called the Mac Mini!

Personally I think they should be selling a scaled down version of the Mac Pro. Those things still cost $3999 in AU, which is simply too expensive in todays Market.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Too many cords... speaker cords, keyboard cords, cords, cords, cords.... and a huge power brick.

They tried to limit the number of cords in the worst possible way -- by making a nonstandard video connection, making it extremely difficult to upgrade the monitor.

If you got rid of some the cords, then maybe. A cube-sized computer without a separate power brick, with a full-sized desktop-style HD, with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then you'd have a relatively elegant solution.

But I'm stumped about how to handle the speakers. You could integrate with the monitor, but you'd still have the nonstandard video connection problem.

Any one know if ALL the DVI terminals are used on the connection. Maybe that could be used for the speakers.

I think the ADC connector was brilliant!!!! Shame the market didn't take it on.

RIP ADC

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Any one know if ALL the DVI terminals are used on the connection. Maybe that could be used for the speakers.

I think the ADC connector was brilliant!!!! Shame the market didn't take it on.

RIP ADC

ADC was brilliant, but so is OGG vorbis and FireWire 800. It's sad isn't it that doesn't matter at all how wonderful a standard is, if it doesn't make it big it's screwed. In 2000 "Apple" was a word still associated with incompatability, so incorporating it into ADC, or Apple Display Connector, was a nailgun going to town on it's coffin.

Back on topic-- I think we just need to see the mini move more toward what the cube was. The mini's price is driven up by it's small size-- the smaller and custom cards are more expensive, the laptop hard drive and optical drive, all more expensive. I don't think people would mind much having a slightly larger mini if it meant being user servicable, and a little more powerful for the same price.

The current apple displays have USB and firewire with them, just make usb speakers.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Um they have. It's called the Mac Mini!

The Mini is overpriced and underpowered. If they want it to truly become a draw for PC users, they're going to need to stop crippling it, hardware-wise, and give it specs comparable to other computers in its price range. As it currently is, almost anyone looking for a Mac will ignore it and head for an iMac or a Macbook; both are far better values (though still lagging behind PCs in value) for a prospective user.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The Mini is overpriced and underpowered. If they want it to truly become a draw for PC users, they're going to need to stop crippling it, hardware-wise, and give it specs comparable to other computers in its price range. As it currently is, almost anyone looking for a Mac will ignore it and head for an iMac or a Macbook; both are far better values (though still lagging behind PCs in value) for a prospective user.

Mini = QUIET PC

See how much a quiet PC costs. The same noise level PC costs way more than the mini.

You are comparing different things. Mac Mini is not equal to budget line PCs that are loud and huge.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
I'd love it if they did but, like the original cube, it probably would flop for the exact same reasons.

Expandability. People want options and the Cube did very little for that.

It's sad! The Cube was a cool looking computer too.

~Crawn

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Mini = QUIET PC

See how much a quiet PC costs. The same noise level PC costs way more than the mini.

You are comparing different things. Mac Mini is not equal to budget line PCs that are loud and huge.

the market for quiet computers is pretty small because most people dont think about noise when they're in the market, only after purchase when the fans crank up.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Mini = QUIET PC

The Mini isn't a quiet PC, the Mini is a budget PC, and is marketed as such. MacRumors says so, Apple says so. Consumers looking for a "first Mac/PC/whatever" aren't looking for a quiet PC; they're looking for an inexpensive, powerful machine. They can find that in most PCs from $300 up. And most people aren't going to pay 400 extra for a machine with far weaker stats across the board, simply because it runs OS X.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The Mini isn't a quiet PC, the Mini is a budget PC, and is marketed as such. MacRumors says so, Apple says so. Consumers looking for a "first Mac/PC/whatever" aren't looking for a quiet PC; they're looking for an inexpensive, powerful machine. They can find that in most PCs from $300 up. And most people aren't going to pay 400 extra for a machine with far weaker stats across the board, simply because it runs OS X.

For those smart enough to know, Mini is a perfect media computer.

Just because you never used a quiet computer does not mean it's not useful.

Perhaps you don't own any Macs at all? If you are used to the quietness of the Macs, then you would know silence is golden.

You do know that the latest number for OS X market share is 7% AND GROWING. That is one out of 14 right now. Most computer users aren't looking for a "powerful machine" by the way. Obviously there is a market for Macs. Just because you believe otherwise doesn't mean it's true. Why do you keep arguing for people not to get Macs?

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
For those smart enough to know, Mini is a perfect media computer.

What does this have to do with our discussion? I'm talking about budget machines for switchers. What are you talking about?

Just because you never used a quiet computer does not mean it's not useful.

I've used plenty of quiet computers. Why do you like making these assumptions?

Perhaps you don't own any Macs at all? If you are used to the quietness of the Macs, then you would know silence is golden.

What kind of nonsense is this? I'm typing from a Macbook. Besides that, if you think the only computers with the capacity for quietness are Macs, you've been drinking the KoolAid for far too long.

Why do you keep arguing for people not to get Macs?

I'm arguing against the assumption that the Mac Mini is a viable alternative for a family looking for a budget PC. You don't seem to grasp this, and keep trying to suggest the Mini is everything from a "quiet" PC to a "media center" to...well, everything other than a budget PC for a family looking to replace another budget PC. If you can't address what I'm talking about, perhaps you should stop quoting me, only to talk about matters wholly unrelated to my posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.