Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sabrezx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2007
Hi folks, I've started getting a strange noise from my macbook (last of the pre santarosa's). Its sort of a high pitched hissing noise and when ever I use the trackpad or keys it goes away only to return immediately when the input is stopped, its also noticeably louder when the charger is plugged in.
Has anyone else experienced this noise?
Do you think its an issue for concern/ return.

Thanks in advance.

FetalSage

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
I've gotten that noise, but I'm having problems (again) with my Core Duo (not C2D) MacBook so I will be heading over to the Apple store this afternoon to have it checked out. Hopefully they'll actually fix the MacBook.

I'll let you know if I find out what it is.

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
I had this problem a year ago. Apple replaced my 15" MBP twice and then just gave me a full refund plus a $200 credit. I bought a 17" next, which didn't have the problem. It doesn't sound like its anything they can actually fix aside from replacing the logic board.

As far as I could tell, the high-pitch noise was coming from the processor. As it turns out, all the 15" MBP that I went through had their processors stuck at ~1000mhz and wouldn't clock any higher (even under load), which was the source of the whining noise.

Hope that helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.