Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trunkster

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I don't own an Apple TV but I do have an iPhone. I've been looking at how the quality of YouTube videos are better on the iPhone due to the use of the h.264 codec. Using Privoxy, I have been able to download the videos the iPhone fetches from google's servers. It uses a secureurl so finding any pattern to download videos without the iPhone is nearly impossible. The videos are better quality but I believe the Apple TV gets it's videos from an even higher quality source.

So the question is, has anyone been able to intercept the urls from their Apple TV when fetching YouTube videos? I understand that the Apple TV does not have proxy support so it may be harder to do.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I don't know the URL but the YouTube videos on the AppleTV look fantastic and IMHO slighlty better than on a PC. I was actually surprised. The AppleTV will even fill a widescreen TV when the videos are originally produced in widescreen. Very slick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.