Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Hey I was just wondering where in your entertainment center you place your AppleTV... or rather if there is somewhere I shouldn't place it.
I was thinking about putting it on top of my DVD player ... that way it can share the IR blaster from my Harmony remote.
My other option would be on top of my Dish receiver...
Suggestions? Does it matter?

Thanks as always.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I put mine on top of my armoire that my tv, dvr, etc is in b/c the signal would sometimes get lost from closing the doors and I would have to reconnect. But if you have an open unit that may not be a problem, or if you are using ethernet not wireless.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Hey I was just wondering where in your entertainment center you place your AppleTV... or rather if there is somewhere I shouldn't place it.
I was thinking about putting it on top of my DVD player ... that way it can share the IR blaster from my Harmony remote.
My other option would be on top of my Dish receiver...
Suggestions? Does it matter?

Thanks as always.

I added another shelf to my Sanus modular audio rack, above my receiver (between the TV and the left tower) and placed the AppleTV on the top shelf. The reason I did this is to make sure that the AppleTV is not obstructing airflow to the receiver and to make sure the AppleTV has nothing immediately above or around it, thereby allowing both maximum antenna range and maximum heat dissipation.

It's not in the picture below (older photo), but you can see the location where I've placed it:

HT_1012.jpg

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Should be fine on top of anything, as long as it's not blocking cooling vents. The main issues would be poor wifi signal quality (if some equipment is between it and your base station, for instance), or if it can't see your remote (or IR repeater).

btw: using mine with Harmony 550. Originally, I created my own Apple Remote device, but since then they've added it (and Apple TV) to their component list.

ibrainch

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2002
Chicago, IL
behind my tv

I know it is sacrilege for an apple product, but I have mine behind my wall mounted LCD. Signal picks up fine even IR. While it is a shame not to show it off, I like the clean look of having no components connected to my tv.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
mine is on top of my center channel because I had nowhere else bettter to put it when I got it and just have not moved it since. I am waiting on a new Blu-ray player and the HDMI switch that matches the aTV and I should be moving it. I will also be moving out the 400+1 cd changer and possibly one of my DVD players. Not sure about the last part. If I could find a DVD (upconverting or blu-ray) player that is the same form factor as the aTV that would look pretty cool all stacked up. I like having a uniform size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.