Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fkntotalkaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Anybody else using a mini for a home theater PC? Just wondering what and how I can get a front end that plays, .mkv files? I love my Apple TV, but until it can do Dolby Digital, and DTS the Mini is going to behooked up in my den with the surround and the Apple TV delegated to the Projector in my Home theater.

I want a front row solution that allows the playback of .mkv

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
They say the new rented movies can do 5.1, but does that mean your ripped movies with 5.1 support wont have it on the ATV

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Can't you play mkv in Front Row if you have perian?

I'm not overly fussed with using Front Row as I just use quicktime or vlc so I haven't done much experimenting. I really only use Front Row to play Itunes downloads.

I agree the mac mini is great and love using mine. Admittedly I'm not a tech freak so I'm probably not the most discerning of customers.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Anybody else using a mini for a home theater PC? Just wondering what and how I can get a front end that plays, .mkv files? I love my Apple TV, but until it can do Dolby Digital, and DTS the Mini is going to behooked up in my den with the surround and the Apple TV delegated to the Projector in my Home theater.

I want a front row solution that allows the playback of .mkv

Mac Mini will work. Perian + Front Row accessing your movies folder will play mkvs.

I used to use a Mac Mini as a media center. I'm going to sell the one I have because I've switched to a Mac Pro which, among other (more important things) now also acts as my media hub, and I use Apple TVs to watch content. I had to convert all of my files to h264, but it's worth it now.

fkntotalkaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Mac Mini will work. Perian + Front Row accessing your movies folder will play mkvs.

I used to use a Mac Mini as a media center. I'm going to sell the one I have because I've switched to a Mac Pro which, among other (more important things) now also acts as my media hub, and I use Apple TVs to watch content. I had to convert all of my files to h264, but it's worth it now.

I tried both methods, QT will not keep the files in Dolby Digital or DTS and there is the preload time. There has to be a way to make the Frontrow, play through VLC or something more compatible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.